Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:20 pm 
Lensbaby wrote:
Good grief Mark! I'd hate to meet you in a dark alley at night. Very imposing expression.

Hehe I'm a nice person in real life though, well mannered with good manners, always hold open doors for a Lady, give up my seat etc only once did I wish I hadn't bothered when the "Lady" started making a scene about how I shouldn't treat women with such disrespect, offering her my seat was in her eyes degrading her, even though she was obviously heavily pregnant and had some heavy bags, I did think for sometime before I did that again but decided one persons warped views on society shouldn't affect how I treat other people.

Oops bit off topic LOL sorry...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:37 pm 

Well, you are right on, the rest of appreciate help when we need it. Like the young man at the store yesterday, who saw me wrestling with 100 pounds of dog food. Much appreciated. I believe you, that you are a nice person in real life...but that photo is really intense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:43 pm 
Lensbaby wrote:
Well, you are right on, the rest of appreciate help when we need it. Like the young man at the store yesterday, who saw me wrestling with 100 pounds of dog food. Much appreciated. I believe you, that you are a nice person in real life...but that photo is really intense.

Hehe now with regards 100lbs of dog food I'd think long and hard before offering help, there could just be 300lbs of Dog ready to attack ;)

With regards the photo thank you that means I have succeeded to some degree, as that was the emotion I was trying to evoke from the viewer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:17 pm 

Sue, that is a great shot, for me the leader so far. I just hope the expression isn't as real as it seems fantastic.
John :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:32 pm 
How do you guys shoot yourself? Mark an X on the ground and try to focus on where your head will be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:38 pm 
It's a bit easier than that, I used the back of a chair to focus roughly were I would be and used a reasonable DOF to ensure the best chance of reasonable focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:01 pm 

Thank you John for your kind comments , im just a big cry baby really. :D

Pgtips my camera was on timer and i put it on the windowsill. Had to persevere, got shots of the top of my head, the side of my neck, tip of my nose, and the bathroom door lol in the end my tears of frustration were spot on. :D :D

sigma 18-200 os lens

All my photos are clickable
my flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27828538@N03/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:44 am 

pgtips wrote:
How do you guys shoot yourself? Mark an X on the ground and try to focus on where your head will be?

Just used the A700's remote control to take the photo. That takes care of the focus for you, as long as you're standing in the middle of the frame (where my focus point was...).

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:48 am 
And if there's enough light to obtain focus :)

Not possible with the light I had unfortunately so had to obtain focus and then switch to MF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:50 am 

Haven't taken mine yet, but have some ideas to play with.

I think I'll likely have to do a tape measure manual focus and running on timer. It's not going to be an easy one... actually, one of the ideas doesn't rely on sharp focus...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:12 pm 

You know I thought I had a fighting chance at this assignment... Until I saw MarkA's. UGGH!!! Why are you so good! :twisted:

Haha. Good shot and so far my top pick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:20 pm 

I think your submission is good too! Very creative and interesting. And you have that ability to break from the pack and do very unusual and compelling things...like building your own skyscraper last time. And shallow life....your submission is great too....how do you get that far from the camera in time to get set up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:03 pm 
MBrutus2009 wrote:
You know I thought I had a fighting chance at this assignment... Until I saw MarkA's. UGGH!!! Why are you so good! :twisted:

Haha. Good shot and so far my top pick.

Heh thanks for the compliment Marcus, I'm far from good but I am learning quite fast, the main reason I think my photography has come on a lot in the last couple of months is that I try anything and everything - most importantly though I try and learn from the things I trial and rather than just selecting the things that do work, I spend a lot of time trying to work out what went wrong with the shots that failed.

I try to read a lighting tutorial or two each day (normally from strobist and occassionally from DIYPhotography.net, this can help you to deconstruct the lighting in other peoples images which again adds to your arsenal when it comes to lighting your scene or making the best of natural light that is available.

Your work has improved considerably just over the few weeks I have known you to be on DPC so you must be working hard as well :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:31 pm 

I do believe it has too. And thanks for the compliment Mark. I think you have done such a great job so far from what I have seen. Keep it up...

As for you Lensbaby, Thank you for that nice complement. I thought to myself when I heard that the assignment was self portriat that I would not submit because I HATE taking photos of myself. Until I can up with the idea that I could take a photo of myself without making people know how anti-good-looking in photos I am... This is when GIMP came in hand! Haha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:17 pm 
Good posts so far everyone.
Will try to get myself into a pose and shoot a few.

Bjorn: Thats a really nice picture right there!! I dont mean anything with it, but you got that kind of psycho-look in that picture. You'd fit in a Tarantinomovie !

Then Marks boys from the hood picture.... hehe... thats cool man. I was just wondering what a subtle grayish grafitti in the background could do to that picture. It would change the mood of the picture for sure, but maybe not to the better. The isolated black is cool to. Interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next