Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:20 pm 
After so many turns and to request in the store the Sony 50mm f/2.8 macro and Sony AF 50mm f/1.4 to make some quick takings to different diaphragms with and without flash and to see through LCD (although it is not very objective neither technician) the similarity as for quality, I opted for the second.

Consider the following conditions:

-I have a Sony AF 100mm f/2.8 Macro with a MDF 30cm
-The construction of the 50 Macro and the 50 Standard are similar
-F/1.4 offers me double illumination with a MDF 45cm
-F/2.8 Macro offered MDF 20cm (I already have a Macro)
-The quality f/1.4 to f/2.8 is similar (according to my appreciation) to the Macro 50mm.

In some quick tests I have appreciated that this doesn't have the problem of the back focus of original Minolta 50mm f/1.4 that I have and the quality is good, I want to make some comparisons with Sony 100mm Macro.

Here I place them the pictures that I takes in the store with both lenses, I have not that to focus and I decided to make to the logo of Sony of a Sony AF 500mm f/8 Reflex...

Here a picture big...

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3498 ... yeldo7.jpg

PD: Mr Laing, I like their analyses a lot and I would like to know if you could give me some advice to make the comparison of both lenses without the letters neither diagrams that you use, Thank you...
and I wait their comments...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Alex, the best thing to do when comparing lenses is to find a composition similar to what you'd normally be taking - a landscape or a macro for example - then take the same shot with each lens at all apertures and examine them closely. Make sure the composition has detail in the corners as this is where you'll really notice the differences.

To test vignetting, use a white wall or sheet of card to reveal darkening in the corners. For geometry, photograph a grid or even a brick wall face-on.

For fringing, position the branches of a tree or rooftops near the corner of the frame and take photos on overcast days with a white sky.

These will all reveal a lot about your lenses on test...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:45 pm 
Thank Mr. Laing...

Something but...

Doesn't it leave context to compare a lens 50mm with a 100mm??, or if it is possible provided one has the same image to the same amplification??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hmmm, depends what you're trying to test...

You could be twice as far away with the 100mm to match the coverage of the 50mm - that's what we'd do when photographing test charts....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:56 pm 
It is that was considering to make to evaluate the quality of both lenses, Sony Macro 100 and Sony 50 f/1.4...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:30 pm 
How much for your old 50/1.4? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:51 pm 
To the change in dollars for the currency of my country, $200, I believe that I already have it sold, I live in Venezuela and it is not easy to make transactions in dollars or euros. but any thing could be about fixing a sale...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:53 pm 
alexramos wrote:
To the change in dollars for the currency of my country, $200, I believe that I already have it sold, I live in Venezuela and it is not easy to make transactions in dollars or euros. but any thing could be about fixing a sale...

yeah, and shipping + insurance would be too high a price for me. It's a shame we live so far away from each other, your 135mm is also very interesting :) Good luck with the sales and the new lens. Do tell if you find noticeable difference between the two 50mm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:11 am 
If it is one it hurts, I would like to be sold it to somebody that him of the maximum profit, they already confirmed me a purchase, the 3 eyeglasses for $510.

In what can make some tests as Mr it recommended it. Laing will make them and here I will put them.

Now, I have just done another business, to see if this well the price...

Don't I like it a lot to my east lens, AF 28mm f/2.8, but did I know an user of a Sony DSH-9 that by mistake this model Sony acquired and does he offer it to me for $230, did I tell him that yes and this Thursday we close the treatment, this well for that price?? can it have this model's advantage with previous Minolta??

Excuse me my english...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:02 am 
Hello...

I have been forced to change my Sony 50mm f/1.4.

I was making some tests and the image quality I don't like I. To but of f/2.8 I didn't obtain clarity and I made some comparisons to f/3.5, 4, 4.5 and 5.6 with the Macro 100 and the quality of this I finish it was very much well. For what considers to change it for Sony 50 f/2.8 Macro, which should occur better image quality and clarity in the whole focus range to be a Macro.

Then I will show them some images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:47 pm 
Hello to all...

I was making some tests in a small study in my house that I use for pictures Macro and there I proved with Sony AF 50mm f/1.4 at their distance of normal (non Macro) use and the results were not those that I considered.

This lens works better than Minolta AF 50mm f/1.4, but the image quality to more than f/2.8 and until openings smaller than f/5.6 doesn't give the prospective quality. It will be that Sony Macro 100 have put on a little demanding, but after seeing the quality of this Macro I want that the lens that uses for portraits me of a similar quality.

So today I will go since to the store I communicated my restlessness and they changed me the lens, the other one 50mm that has Sony for sale are the Macro f/2.8 and I believe that it will be since this the one that chooses, to weigh that their maximum opening is f/2.8, f/1.4 it didn't contribute me advantages at this level.

I was reading in an I articulate of picture of NatGeo about the Macros in that it is designed for a bigger quality in all the focus distances and two equal eyeglasses it distances focal, the Macro will always give more quality and the quality of the Macro 100 it is the one that I look for in a good lens for portrait.

I hope everything comes out well and then I will comment them I eat up it was.

PD: do 2 equal lenses distance focal, one standard (normal) and another Macro, will this give me more quality they have this way same construction??

Thank you...