Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:45 am 

This is just to inform you that a review of the Sigma is coming up. Not sure when the lens will arrive, but I'll keep you posted!

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:06 pm 
Awesome Thomas! Can't wait :D
Keep up the good work, love your reviews!

0eyvind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:30 pm 
Thanks Thomas! May I ask the rude question of how much you payed for it? I'm possibly interested in getting this + the 2x converter rather than the Canon 70-200 F/2.8. Here's why:

http://www.rgb-tech.co.uk/product/315

Thanks,
Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:34 pm 
I think he borrows them for reviews.
Is that correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:30 pm 

Lowest street price from a reputable dealer in Germany is 620€ (incl. 19% you-know-VAT).
And no, those are not borrowed lenses: I have to pay for them upfront, but German laws on Intenet sales impose a 14 day period where you can give the gear back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:58 am 
Oh, okay. I thought you could only return if you hadn't opened it. :)

But does anyone know, is there taxes when importing stuff inside the EU? Because that's quite cheap that one. And is it possible to order International?

0eyvind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:18 am 

When ordering lenses or other items in the EU (distance selling) then the distance selling directive applies. This gives you the right to cancel the order for a short time after you received the item and inspected it. The UK implementation explicitly states the seller can not put barriers to that inspection, such as requiring items to be unopened/unused. Big sellers like Amazon are generally good with it. I've heard that some small places don't understand the requirements and can involve court action to get things sorted. As always, if you intend to make use of it do check out the details first.

It "saved" me from the disappointing new Tamron 28-300 I got previously as it was worse than my old one.

Taxes wise, you pay the VAT of the selling country, usually included in price already.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:07 pm 

I've transferred the following Sigma 70-200 related posts by Christian-NRW from the Tamron 70-200/2.8-thread here to give a something to mull over while I'm waiting for my copy of that lens:
--------------------
To get an impression what kind of dreamy effect the sigma delivers in the near field, I've uploaded a 50% size sample shot from photokina - its clearly visible, even more so at 1:1 100%. This JPG ist OOC, shot was taken around the max. mag. distance of that lens.

If you increase the distance, the glowness is reduced and remains visible mostly around highlights. Nevertheless, it's still there even in the shadows, visible by the overall reduced contrast:

In the far field, the picture looked ok, but lacked the punch that those of the tamron had. There mighht be a small backfocus on this lens as I aimed for the wheel and the brakedisc seems sharper, but overall I wasn't just impressed with the results I got (org. full size file):

Build quality was better at the sigma in terms of surface feeling, it just felt "metal". But as I know how fast this EX finish collects dust and dirt and just gets splotched, I'm not very keen on this finish. However, having a metal outer shell does indeed suggest some kind of reliability.

Here's the Sigma 70mm, notice the plane of focus is on the windscreen wipers although I clearly aimed for the wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:04 pm 
Here is a shot of the Sigma at 138mm F2.8 aimed at a few meters away - this is quite good in terms of sharpness and contrast, so that's what it should have looked like in all the other shots.

Last edited by Christian-NRW on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:43 pm 

Thanks for the additional footage Christian!
What do you think is the reason for the "bad" shots: a focus problem? Better at 135mm than at 200mm? A weakness at close distances?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:44 pm 

Update:
After looking again at Christian's images and the other reports about this lens plus assuming that the Sigma people had a perfectly QCed copy of their lens at the fair I finally killed the order.
I don't want to waste my and your time with products that have little chance to be a keeper. So, sorry 0eyvind, no review of this lens from me here :(

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:07 pm 
Well i have been looking into this lens as well, and the main REASON i think people look into it is because of the PRICE TAG

compared to the other brands out there, where either is Cannon or Nikon the Sigma offers the "same lens" (as far as focal length and aperture) for by far a much more attractive price

Quite the shame about the review, but i understand what you mean Thomas! seems like you just gotta save up the cash and go for the real deal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:53 pm 
Hi Thomas,

Sorry, forgot to mark this thread as well for email notification, so it slipped through.

I'm not sure what to think about the performance of the sigma. But the fact that there is no serious review out there that does not describe a somehow serious flaw makes me lack the enthusiasm to find an explaination. Because even if I would find one, I doubt it would solve the problems. It's sad because I really wanted it to be good. I'm a huge fan of sonic wave motors and wouldn't have hesitated to buy it. But there does not seem to be convincing proof despite those peoples who have bought one and have waited to long to send it back and now are showing 1024th sized images while crying out loud "thats sharp, sharp enough for me" (excuse my sarcasm).

I'll have some other things to say in the Tamron devision.

Greetz
Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:18 pm 
Didn't quite understand the meaning there Thomas. Can anyone explain?

And i can't seem to see what you mean. Whether you're negative or positive about the lens.

So - do you write/think negative or positive about the lens?
Because i really want this lens, and i'm getting reeally confused now. I would'nt be able to afford the Sony one, nor to send the Sigma one in 5 times or so. (50 usd each way ._.)

In your opinion, would it be worth getting it? Or does it has some real flaws. Because i god confused now ;)

But anyways Thomas, thanks for trying. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:51 pm 

Sorry for not being clear (enough), 0eyvind!
Look at this image from Christian: http://www.abload.de/img/50p_dscf0033shs.jpg
See the white halo around the numbers on the focus ring? They have a "halo". And although the hair in front of the lens is quite sharp this effect of "blooming"/"halo" will seriously deteriorate the contrast in your images.
I've seen this in the Sigma 120-400mm also and didn't like it. It is hard to correct because the contrast degradation is only around bright colors, so you cannot just push up the contrast for the complete image.
Plus Christian is reporting focus-probs and I've really had enough of back-/front-focus on the Tamron 70-200/2.8 (which I will give back).

I will not buy a f/2.8 lens that I'm afraid to use at f/2.8. And as I already own a 150/2.8 macro and a 105/2.8 VR which have excellent IQ even fully open, I've not much to gain from a non stabilized, limited macro, limit IQ 70-200/2.8. Perhaps I should better get the Nikon 70-300 VR?!

If you have not covered some of the range already with a kit-lens or a prime I'd rather tend to suggest the Tamron 70-200/2.8 which either stopped down or with a little MF help can produce very good pictures.