Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:33 pm 
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the great site, super informative and the vids are a massive help.

I am looking for a compact which shoots good images, quick (kids dont sit still long) and under $500 (Australian).

I like the Cybershot N2 but my only concern is it does not have image stabilisation in any form.

Is this really essential in a 3x zoom lens ?

If it is can you suggest an alternative, the other one in my sights is the Lumix DMC-TZ3.

Thanks again

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Phil, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

The compacts we've reviewed and can recommend can be found in our Best Buys section here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... mera.shtml

I'm personally a big fan of image stabilisation - optical or sensor shift that is, not high ISO as that just reduces quality - and I think there's benefits at all focal lengths, even at wide angle.

If you're taking photos at dawn or dusk, or even on a dim day, the shutter speeds can get quite slow at the lowest ISO settings required for the best quality. So long as your subject isn't moving, stabilisation can let you take the photo at low ISOs without shake.

You can also use it for special effects. Moving water, like a waterfall, can look great blurred with slower shutter speeds, but you'd normally need a tripod to keep the background steady. However stabilisation lets you shoot at slower shutter speeds to blur the water, but it'll make sure the rest is steady.

If I were buying a compact I'd definitely want stabilisation - and personally speaking, I'd also want 28mm wide angle coverage. The TZ3 is great in these respects, especially as it also has a 10x range and a nice big screen.

If it's physically not too chunky for you, it's one of the best around right now...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:43 pm 
Thanks for such a detailed and quick response Gordon.

I actually picked the TZ3 a week ago but was beguiled by the bling of the N2 I guess, as well as several 100's of reviews of Super zooms and the supposed lack of image quality.

We are heading over to WA next year and the wide angle and image stabilisation will really come in handy.

Thanks so much again and I look forward to spending a great deal of time on this site - its a beauty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

No worries Phil!

Have fun with your TZ3 and we look forward to hearing what you think of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:04 am 
Just got it today and after a brief play around I know I have the right camera.

Did a video test and a zoom test with IS on and off and it makes an amazing difference.

Thanks again Gordon. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Good stuff Phil! Glad to be of service!