Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:21 am 

Sorry folks: can't show it to you as her mother won't allow it.

Try this on a 2 or 3 year old :

On a cloudy day take the child outside and set WB to cloudy (much better colours on my fuji F30; the auto-WB 'pales' the skin). Place the camera directly above the child's head pointing down and get the child to look directly up at the downward pointing lense, zoom in a bit if needed. Your body will be splitting the sky and the split reflection causes the most marvellous catch-lights.

In one photo the child's cute, bare foot is visible taking a step forward further adding to the charm of the picture. Also I have one of these shots where she is unsmiling, and the brightness of the cloudy sky, behind me, has increased the 'seriousness' of her expression in a quite unique manner. The result is pulitzer winning.

It is also interesting how the angle of the shot and the upward looking kid works really well. However I suspect it may look a little odd if the kid were not so obviously young and thus small. It also has another effect : it slims the subject: this young girl is a bit chubby, but by looking up she looks much less podgy, and better for it in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:59 am 

Nice tip - thanks for posting!

Darrin