Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pentax and Photokina
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:19 am 
hi guys,

as i've been following the news in camera labs and dpreview, i've been witnessing that many camera manufacturers, are prepearing something new for the coming photokina.. but what about pentax? is it out of real life competition? don't they have a winning plan? are they a second hand brand? will they offer some full frame camera? is there a further way to go from K20D, and still stay with pentax?

anyone of you have any news about it? or should i just wait for the actual show, and see for myself.. maybe pentax will surprise us..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:20 pm 
I love Pentax & their tradition but...they don't have enough money even to mentain cameras & lenses on the market. For example,the lens DA* 60-250mm f4 was postponed 2 times by now & still,no news...
There's no news in the future about a full framer,they denied it. I would prefer to see some improvements in the lens chapter.(even the DA* are not "the kick in the L" I was hoping for. :) )
As a future DSLR buyer,I was very interested about the K10D & the production of this camera was stopped. Just after 2 years! The K20D is available,but the price tag is HUGE for what it offers. The K200D looks a sound kit,even with the pentamirror viewfinder,unlith screen on top of the camera, & the lousy FPS I wouldn't be using anyway. The DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 is incredible quality for your money & it can be used both as a general purpose and a prime for portraits. But still,it's not all that good. The F/2.8 tends to loose a lot of details troughout the focal range & that makes it a bit anoying. I don't want to be negative,but I saw Nikon kit lenses perform better. I will go for the D80+ 16-85mm or the D90+ 18-105mm(same price) if by winter time,Pentax will continue to be a marketing roadkill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:34 am 
Wait for it. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

There is still around 9 days till Photokina. Let's see what will happen then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:23 pm 

OOOOHHH

Sounds like a bit of Pentax bashing going on their :shock:

We are all entitled to our opinions and we Pentax users have generally checked out the lens options before purchase, however, whilst Pentax don't seem to have kept up with the latest releases of others, as yet, I think we should remember a few things Pentax/Hoyer are ambitious as are Samsung and usually when things are a little quiet something then happens (let's hope so) :D

Maybe Pentax are holding something back until either Photokina or even a little later - isn't it best that they don't release a product until they have got it right??

When I have bought a lens and as I am about to dip into my pockets for a new lens as well I will only buy a lens that also covers full frame as the future would appear to be full frame but if not then aps c still works well with these lenses :D

Perhaps Pentax and Samsung are working towards full frame, it would make sense but why release a full frame camera before they can also provide the lenses or very few (isn't this what Nikon did, ie, provided a full frame body with only a couple of lenses?? - I could easily be wrong as I'm not sure how many if any, of the lenses coated for digital that Nikon had prior to this would suit full frame as quite frankly I was not interested - if this is what Nikin did then they have carried it off whereas due to the difference in customer base Pentax probably could not)

I hope that Pentax/samsung do enter the full frame arena but I for one am willing to wait until 1. the price has dropped (of full frame in general - well done sony for chipping in with a full framer at a competitive price) and 2. Pentax/samsung get it right as I would prefer to wait for a year than have a rushed model reach the shelves.

My pic's - http://www.flickr.com/photos/10126769@N05/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:14 pm 
After posting this topic, i did my own research about the issue..
maybe really it's not yet a time for pentax to release the FF, i did not know that this company is relatively small..
but the fact is, that I would want to stay in this brand so, they should assure us, that they are doing something.. for example reveal some kind of prototype, reveal some charackteristics, and raw preliminary date of release.. so we would be calm, knowing that pentax and samsung from their side are designing a way for us to grow further as photographers..
and of course to hurry in this business, and to make something that is not worth buying for pentax would be a disaster.

i have found out that samsung is a huge giant of electronics while pentax is an expert in photography world, so, I hope that this unity, will surprise with some innovative/unique steps even such guys as Nikon or Canon.

looking at the latest trends i think pentax is going the right way..
such models as K10D, K100D, K20D and K200D all are very succesful and have their buyers.

and more logical decision for pentax at this moment in time, would be to release some most affordable and compact dslr based on K200D..
in such a way pentax would make some profit without big expenses of manufacturing totally new model..

well these of course are only my amateur guesses and suggestions..
anyone of you think differently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:11 am 
don't forget that hoya is also backing pentax now, and they are a huge company too. although it's still up in the air whether they will scrap pentax or not, they have made consistent claims that they support the pentax slr section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:32 am 
^ Hoya is doing everything,Pentax is just...resting. Either way,I have a lot of faith in this brand,they can get noticed in 2-3 years if they work like they should. Money in not an issue anymore,Pentax has 2 strong allies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:14 am 

Bonjour,

With Hoya and Samsung, Pentax has two strong partners to keep updating its products.

What I expect from Photokina? Just two things: confirmed availability of the SDM 60-250 (targeted for summer 2008) and more explanations about the SDM rear converter.

But we could dream about a refresh of the line and new products...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:11 pm 

here you go, that's what we'll see in phototkina 2008 from pentax

1.4x rear teleconverter.. as i understand it multiplies focal lenght by 1.4x so my 300mm will become 420mm?
and it will work with all my lenses? if so, that's an amazing thing!!
does anyone know, will it compromise on the picture quality?

it seems, like pentax will conquer the china market! get some good profit, and invest into R&D department.. then, make new superb aps-c dslr - K30D and continue to develop and gather resources on creatiing ff..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:14 pm 

Bonjour,

Nice news :)

Now, I hope the planned availability of the SDM 60-250 for January 2009 to be matched, since I've been waiting for that lens for more than one year :!:

As soon as I have one, I'll post a lens review...

The converter x1.4 seems rather promising, if image quality is there.

Gordon and/or Bob, could you please explain us how a converter works and what are the consequences (loss of image quality, aperture impact, ...) :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:15 am 

What I would like to see in the near future is the K30D with 14-15MP sensor, 12,800 ISO, 5-7fps, video (dun really care but its a nice feature), magnesium alloy body, and some new lenses!!! XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:59 am 
GLXLR wrote:
What I would like to see in the near future is the K30D with 14-15MP sensor, 12,800 ISO, 5-7fps, video (dun really care but its a nice feature), magnesium alloy body, and some new lenses!!! XD

So basically a canon 50d with a pentax name on it :lol:

I'm sure Pentax isn't anywhere near finished in the market. They probably have a few things up their sleeve.