Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:54 am 
I know this question has probably been asked numerous times but mine is slightly different.

I am travelling to Washington DC on friday 24th and I am buying a DSLR camera, I already have a budget FUJI FILM 6500fd which is fine for run of the mill stuff, but I want to get into photography more and want to get a better camera. From all the magazine the E-510 is the best four thirds camera at the moment it would seem.

The Cannon is let down buy the lack of ANTI SHAKE but has a superior AF system. The Gadget packed 510 only has 3 point AF from what I have read but has slighty better quality over all.

So would I be better off getting the Cannon 400D body and getting a seperate high end lens (With IS built in) which will be probably be cheaper or sticking with the E-510 which is newer w/ dual lens kit I have ordered.

Here:

2nd option dual lens kit and E-510 camera.....
http://www.ephotocraft.com/items.asp?Cc ... nd=OLYMPUS

Will I be restricted in any way with the lesser 3 point AF system on the E-510 for family, wildlife and landscape photography (not so much sports) seen as this is all I can really see letting the Olympus down over the Cannon.
And what is the quality of the lens that are coming with the Olympus I have orderd.

Thanx a Million

Great Site

Gary (Ireland)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gary, the latest 14-42mm and 40-150mm kit lenses for the Olympus E-400, E-410 and E-510 are, in my opinion, some of the best budget optics around - which makes the Olympus twin lens kits a really good buy. Note some suppliers substitiute older or other lenses, so make sure you're getting the new ones. They're pictured and described here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... lens.shtml

As for the AF, yep, 3-point is pretty basic, but fine for general use. It's only when you're tracking subjects off-centre that more sophisticated systems come into their own.

BUT I would still go for the body which looks and feels best to you. Pick them both up, look through the viewfinder and fire a few frames off. One will seem better to you personally.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:12 pm 
Thanx for the response Gordon, I will make sure I get the Lens with the ED marking for the newer kit.

But if you had/or the members of this fourm had $1000 dollars what camera and kit lenses would they go for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

I think the E-510 twin lens kit is pretty hard to beat for $1000 USD, but as always it depends which looks and feels best to you personally - and also which lens system you want to buy into. You might prefer the lens ranges from, say, Canon or Nikon.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:29 pm 
But seen as this is my first DSLR and I only have a bridging camera (6500fd) I dont have any knowledge to draw upon when choosing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:04 pm 

Wonda Boy! Only Nikon has a the best super-zoom available - the Nikon VR 18-200mm. So If you want the best super-zoom lens go for the Nikon system.