Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:50 am 
Site Admin

Leica announced a new medium format DSLR system today at Photokina.

You can find out more at Leica's site here:

http://www.s.leica-camera.com/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:23 am 
37.5 Mpix on 30 x 45 mm. Looks like 4/3 grown to be a big boy to me! Attention please big companies; no ocean of buttons on the back, just four.

There's only one thing; what will this beauty cost? And the optics of course.

The format issue isn't over yet. 24 x 35 mm was a film format. There are interesting times to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:08 am 
Sounds awesome. Leica claims that the lenses produce excellent pictures that are free of distortion and vignetting, and are sharp no matter what the aperture is. I wonder how they do this.

OLED screen? A first in cameras I think. Leica seems to have abandoned their traditional approach with this camera, looks exciting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:03 am 
I'm just curious: Who is the market for this kind of camera? Also, is the sensor in this camera the standard medium-format size, or is this a new size developed by Leica?

Actually, this doesn't look like a medium-format camera at all. Most medium-formats have a "back" which is separate from the rest of the camera, right? But this camera doesn't have a back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:06 pm 

Time to start getting used to "crop factors" less than one? :D I know this isn't the first medium format camera, but it is the 1st one I'm aware of that looks like a regular SLR.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:21 pm 
30 x 45 mm doesn't comply with the 4/3 aspect ratio...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:42 pm 
You're right, I miscalculated in the excitement. It's 6/9 just like FF. Pitty; mist change, they never learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:18 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Sounds awesome. Leica claims that the lenses produce excellent pictures that are free of distortion and vignetting, and are sharp no matter what the aperture is. I wonder how they do this.

I think they can pull it off by using prime lenses only (Leica already seems to have a thing against zooms anyway). Eliminating zoom always works in favor of the image quality, the cheap 'nifty fifty' primes in almost every DSLR systems being a good example. The intricate reasons why? I don't know.

On second thought: Do zoom lenses even exist for medium format, anyway?

grahamnp wrote:
OLED screen? A first in cameras I think. Leica seems to have abandoned their traditional approach with this camera, looks exciting.

IIRC, some camcorders had OLED screens for some time. I think there is no reason still cameras shouldn't follow suit. After all, the sensor and the screen are two things that really eat up batteries in a DSLR. A sensor THAT big shall be inherently power-hungry, and OLED goes pretty easy on batteries. I guess that's a nice trade-off.

EDIT: Only the top information display is OLED, the rear LCD is... well, LCD. More fanciness than functionality, IMHO.

Speaking of abandoning tradition, I really have to say "Why yet another system?" The M-system, the R-system, Four-Thirds and now this. Fine, it's medium format and all, but I say what: if only Leica hadn't been the Apple of photographic gear, I'd say this much un-standardization would kill the brand.

Caleb Murdock wrote:
Actually, this doesn't look like a medium-format camera at all. Most medium-formats have a "back" which is separate from the rest of the camera, right? But this camera doesn't have a back.

Even weirder: Leica's 35 mm film SLRs R8 and R9 have an optional detachable back (called Digital Modul R, looks almost as hideous as it sounds) which converts them into a 1.3x crop factor digital camera. A big, bulky, $10000 digital camera, at that. And now they have a stand-alone medium-format DSLR. I'd say they're fighting off serious confidence issues, being left behind in the DSLR game and totally ripped off by Panasonic and Olympus in the Four-Thirds deal, but as I say, Leica is too 'special' of a company to do that...

...which means, when do we see the stand-alone, full-frame, reasonably priced (at least for a Leica) R10 DSLR? :twisted:

Last edited by Hailstorm on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Caleb, you're right that most medium format cameras have detachable backs, but not all of them. The term medium format refers only to the size of the imaging frame being bigger than 35mm and smaller than, ahem, large format.

Pentax produced several medium format SLRs, Mamiya and Fuji produced medium format rangefinders for example - non had detachable backs.

As for OLEDs, it's the first time I've seen one on the top, but I believe a Kodak compact had one, as did a recent Samsung compact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone care to speculate on a price?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:32 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:

:lol: 25 grand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:37 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:

Probably too bloody expensive :lol: :lol: , just had a look at the link you provided in your first post and looked at their video.... think they need to have a look at your vids Gordon so as to see how it should be done... couldn't help laughing at the "Doc" when he gave a BTW re: joining with Phase One... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:38 pm 
IS there such a thing as "large format"? If so, it is probably used in satellites and such.

If they came up with a medium-format camera for a few thousand dollars, I'd be tempted to scrape together the money. I love the idea of large, detailed, noise-free images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 pm 

Defiance wrote:
...just had a look at the link you provided in your first post and looked at their video.... think they need to have a look at your vids Gordon so as to see how it should be done...

And maybe they should put the cue card/teleprompter underneath the camera next time rather than off to its right/their left. :P

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:52 pm 

Price: hmm... can we extrapolate from regular DSLRs upwards? My unfounded assumption that if it looks like a DSLR, it can be priced more like one too? My low guess is €10000 with kit lens. :p For comparison the Hasselblad kit is on offer for "only" €11995+VAT.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.