Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:22 am 
As soon as the light hits the sensor, everything from there is effectively "post processing".

The only difference is the tools used to post process and the level of hands-on control you have.

I must confess that I am completely against imposing any such - in my view - arbitrary rules for the creation of images.

Having "partial" rules simply opens up the forums for drag-out discussions about "too much" vs. "acceptable". Using a sepia-filter is fine when on the lens, but not if applied in Photoshop? Using sepia tones is OK, but using crazy neon is not? Selectively blurring in Photoshop is no ok, but smearing vaseline on your UV filter is?

We live in a digital era. All the most bought, most profitable, most seen and most revered images are all post processed.

I personally think we should stay away from this entirely line of thinking - if patti use a Daguerro-type filter to turn her color image into a startling 30's Noire B/W image it doesn't take anything away from me - in fact, I get to see something I otherwise wouldn't - the pure and unfettered expression of patti's creative mind.

My 1.203.641 cents..lol

Cheers :-)

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:45 am 

oh, now you are asking for trouble, mister...lol..

I am in agreement with with Lahs feelings on the matter of post processing...I am most interested in the creative process, which starts in your mind, extends to the camera, and because of the digital tweaking we can do, is a constantly evolving process...whatsa matter with that ...as long as we tell that we did alter the color, the saturation, the tint, what ever. For those of you so advanced at photoshop, you can imagine....get that word..."image-and" anything you like...long as you confess to the altering...OR, we could have a contest for all of you post processors...showing the original version, and the tweaked version...
maybe a new contest altogether...hey, that would fit right into Big Pix's March theme...before and after in photoshop-time....whoohoo
As always, I will be happy with whatever the majority likes, but I do so like to think out of the box...
heyLah hey hey lo ah....whats that new thingy-ma-jig by your name?
A new Avatar?
patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:17 pm 

Just a thought,
As opposed to having us look back through all those pages of photos in order to find the actual winning one, is it possible to create a sticky showing all the past monthly winners with a credit and that month’s theme?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hmm, that's a great idea - I'll look into it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:33 pm 

Since you’re in an agreeable mood, how about this as well.
ALL the future and past winners will receive a “Camera Labs” polo or tee shirt.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:16 pm 
Site Admin

That's certainly possible as soon as we have the whole merchandise thing sorted out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:52 pm 
I have been looking for a while now, but i can seem to find the place you post the theme of the month! please help me someone :D it's quite hard to participate without knowing the theme :)
Greetings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:56 pm 
It's all posted at the start of the thread for each month, the criteria and editing options :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:08 pm 
thank you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:12 am 

The thing I am still unsure of even to this day is why there is no discussion of what worked and what didn't work for people in the submissions. Of course people say "nice photo" or something along those lines, but it is not very expressive of why you think it is a nice photo.

In early stages of this "On Assignment" project I'd comment on what I felt were good and bad points of photos yet no one would seem to care about discussion of the image submissions after the month poll had ended. Something of an endless treadmill with no plateau.

I think the "On Assignment" is falling short of something greater by not digging deeper and having a conversation about the photos. After all I think how one learns to get better is by unraveling images of others and trying to express in words a cogent critique. This mental mapping of photographs composition, lighting and content carry over consciously and subconsciously to our own photographic point of view and is then expressed through the photographs we take thereafter.

Am I totally alone on this issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:47 am 

Capital, I think your suggestion would be useful, personally I think it comes down to the individuals personal likes, perceptions and subject interest is how voting takes place on the assignments.

Are we looking at the perfect technical shot without or without PP or an idea that is creative and/or the photo tells a story although it may not be technical correct. (whatever that means).

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:36 am 
Hi I have a question.

Lately I have been using some old 35mm cameras and scanning the negs on my newly purchased Epson v700.

Well the question is simple. Will I be able to participate in the 'On assignment' with a scanned image?
I understand that the image creation date is the scan date so verifying the image was taken in a given month will not be 100% possible however I suspect it is already an honesty system as most of the images are post processed and stripped of exif data when exported.

I will understand though if you want to keep it purely to digital cameras. Unfortunately at the moment I am using film quite a bit and using the digital camera a considerably less. Anyhow I don't really plan to do the assignment specifically in one format or the other but as opportunity knocks I will take the picture with whichever camera I am holding so I wanted to clarify it in case I caused a fuss by submitting a scanned negative.

Cheers Paolo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:11 am 

Hi Paolo,

By all means submit an entry scanned from film. The On Assignment competition is just a bit of fun and we trust entrants not to cheat. CameraLabs forum members are above that anyway.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 am 
Must say it is fun. Only been here two months but already I look forward to seeing the new assignment each month and wondering how I'm gonna find and execute a suitable image. It's an excercise in lateral thinking as much as it is creative and technical. Using an old stock image from your archive would be like doing a crossword puzzle with half the answers in front of you and that's not why people do them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:15 pm 

Is it just my imagination or were there more participants when the "On Assignment" forum was still to be found at the top of the index page? Or what is it...?

Canon EF 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 USM + EF 24-105mm 4L IS USM + EF 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS USM + EF 50mm 1.8 II + EF 100mm 2.8L Macro IS USM + Sigma 12-24mm 4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM + Canon Speedlite 580 EX II + Nissin Speedlite Di 466

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next