Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:03 pm 
Review of the Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW

Well after buying the Lowepro Micro Trekker 200, a behemoth of a backpackers camera gear case, I realised I didn't need anywhere near that much space. Unfortunately I didn’t take any shots of that one but you can a quick idea just by seeing it on Google.

Anyway, for the price, I wondered whether the slingshot was worth it, as it is was only a mere $20 or £10 less than the huge micro trekker 200. The Slingshot is ideal though in that it doesn’t encourage you to take all your gear with you, lenses and all. It encourages you to be selective. If I were to go anywhere for a day I'd take a 17-55 say and a 70-200 say or something along those lines with regard to form factor.

First of all, this bag goes over your shoulder like some sports bags I've seen. If you are worried about only one strap resulting in the bag flying all over the show, there’s no need because it also comes with a strap that comes from the opposite side that comes round and clips to allow the bag to be quite snug on the wearer.

It can also be worn with the bag towards your front. I'd value this feature if I was paranoid about having my bag opened while I was on a bustling train or whatever.

If you are carrying the bag on your front, you get a side zipper that opens to reveal the back of your camera. It’s quite easy to whip out for that spur of the moment shot;
If you were worrying about the zippers loosening and all your gear pouring out, there are two clips that stop the zippers from going any further which keep the flap from opening any further than show just a before;

Space:

Well as you can see, there doesn’t seem to be that much room at first glance;

You can separate compartments using the dividers;
There are various ways of storing a camera in the bag;

The top compartment is quite spacious and can accommodate my D80 without the lens on it or my Minolta XG-1

It can even take the 70-210mm lens

Features:
Also note that alot of the inside of the case has soft material lining the edges and bottom, so that you can rearrange the layout of the case itself. You could easily put two long strips of the case insides to be vertical and carry two lenses of the 70-210mm I've pictured in this review.

One of the features I quite like about this bag is that as part of the AW, ‘all weather’ features, it has a compartment at the bottom;

The slot holds a waterproof cover for the bag. Ideal if you live in a country where rain is just around the corner;

The Alternative

Camera bags are by no means cheap. The Slingshot might not attract you as for just £10 more you can have the Lowepro Micro Trekker 200; a bag that holds twice as much gear, has two straps (like a back-pack), is also shower proof (albeit without the rainproof cover).
If you only ever take two to three lenses with you on a shoot, the Micro Trekker might not be for you. In a sense using the Micro Trekker 200 with three lenses in it would be similar to a woman walking around with a back pack carrying just 4 items of make-up. On the flip side, if you are always looking for more space, and have a wealth of gear you can’t go without on a shoot, the Trekker might be the daddy.

Conclusion:

The Slingshot 100 on the other hand is compact and if you don’t travel with 5 normal zoom lenses, has more than enough space. If you are new to SLR gear (like me), you might be surprised at the weight that can quickly mount inside a bag. Like all Lowepro camera bags, the Slingshot comes with dividers that can protect your gear from bumping into each other. With respect to the style of strap, I am pretty sure that if you wore this bag for 5 hours while hiking, that your one shoulder would start to feel it. On the flip side however, as a commuters tool it’s great. I myself plan to take this bag on aeroplanes, on the London underground, while cycling, everywhere. If you are just starting out with a DSLR, I can strongly recommend this bag.

Value: 82/100
Features: 90/100
Performance: 85/100

Last edited by GregoryK on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:08 pm 

Nice review of the Slingshot, Greg!
I'm currently fighting with the question on how to carry my gear on my NZ trip and have the camera ready in an instant. Currently we have our back packs and there is enough room to fit the gear in. BUT it certainly takes some time to get the camera out of the pack and get ready to shoot.
So for me, I will certainly have the D80 with the 18-200mm mounted all the time, but I'm not certain whether I'd like to cary it all the time around my neck?! The back pack offers some mounting opportunities for a body+lens but
(a) it's not easy to get the camera ready without some acrobatic capabilitites working behind your back
(b) the fixtures don't make the best possible impression to keep the camera save (i.e. not slipping out or banging again the rock)
Would you recommend carrying a secial camera case in front of you (banging against your stomach) in addition to the back pack you carry for clothes, drinks, GPS :) ? or are there any other tricks to keep your camera from dangling from your neck but have it ready in an instant???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:59 pm 
Hi Tom, good question, Lowepro also seem to have covered that part. See the new shots, namely the 3rd, 4th, and 5th shots from the top. :)

Personally I would carry the bag on my front with the backpack on my back. If you can help it I would put the back pack down when shooting. Those things can get very heavy and I dread the thought of what would happen if someone crawled out from under a rock and made you lose your balance with both an enormous back pack and expensive gear in your hands. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi Greg, that's a fantastic review! Thanks for posting it! In fact we're looking at ways of featuring it on the main site and I'll be in touch soon.

Thomas, I feel your pain! Literally, in my shoulder when I'm lugging round heavy kit! If I'm hiking, I'll always use a rucksack even if it does slow down my photo-taking opportunities. Comfort and safety outweigh the inconvenience of taking it off to get at your kit.

But for shorter trips, or around town, I tend to use a smaller Crumpler bag - see: http://www.cameralabs.com/blog/may06/29/

Trouble is, there's no catch on it beyond velcro, so it's not that secure, and it's not that comfortable to wear on your front with a rucksack on your back - but that said, that's generally what I travel with, and I'll transfer the camera to my bigger rucksack for hikes.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:28 pm 
Cheers Gordon, I was a little concerned as to whether it was acceptable to post a review seeing as it is your website haha. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:20 am 

I currently have two bags. My main everyday bag is a Crumpler Ben's Pizza XXL. This holds my D80 and my 2 lenses plus other bits and bobs. It's a messenger style bag. I have also got a Crumpler The Formal Lounge. This is a half photo half normal rucksack. I got this to use as hand luggage on my trip to New Zealand. I can fit my camera and two lenses in (although there is less space than in the other bag). I also have proper padded section for a laptop and all space for all those other odds and ends you want for a long journey. It is a compromise but with the new hand luggage rules it is one I have to make. I think I'll put my normal bag in my check in luggage as well since this is easier to use for everyday shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:23 am 

I'm currently searching for a transport solution that can be attached to my belt e.g. for the flash or one additional lens plus something like a "gun holster" (at least that's what they're called in Germany) where you can put the camera with attached lens in and keep it close to your body on your front slightly to one side without it bobbing back and forth.

Anybody know a solution like this?
I've seen the LowePro Toploader allows some harness/shoulder strap to be used.
Someone has experience with them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:40 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
I'm currently searching for a transport solution that can be attached to my belt e.g. for the flash or one additional lens plus something like a "gun holster" (at least that's what they're called in Germany) where you can put the camera with attached lens in and keep it close to your body on your front slightly to one side without it bobbing back and forth.

Anybody know a solution like this?

Perhaps you're looking for something like this?

The upper image is the plain belt and the lower one is an example of how you can equip it. It's made by Tamrac (http://www.tamrac.com/) and it's called Modular Accesory System. Also as a comic fan, the lower image suspiciously reminds me of Batman's utility belt :mrgreen:

Bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:23 am 
I just picked up the Lowepro Slingshot 100 and I can't believe how incredibly well designed it is. They seem to have thought of everything and the all-weather cover makes this the perfect travelling bag.

It now means I've got a Crumpler Pretty Boy 3000 L going spare if anyone's interested...? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:49 pm 
TelexStar wrote:
I just picked up the Lowepro Slingshot 100 and I can't believe how incredibly well designed it is. They seem to have thought of everything and the all-weather cover makes this the perfect travelling bag.:D

Hi TelexStar. Hi everyone.
I've just registered to cameralabs and I've seen your post concerning the LowePro Sling Shot 100 AW that you own.
I'm about to buy a new D80 + VR 18-200, and I noticed that it is in fact what you own. Could you please confirm if the D80 with that lens mounted fit in the bag?

To GregoryK: great review!

Thanks in advance for replying or posting your answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:45 pm 
This was a great review and helped convince me to purchase this bag. As my first camera bag I am pretty happy. Ok so it isn't the biggest but if you don't want to carry or have that much equipment then it is a great buy for day trips. It really is very easy to quickly access your camera from the bag to take that sot that you perhas otherwise may have missed. It also has a couple of nice pouches for things such as memory cards and spare battery. Nice little backpack. :D

Thanks again for a great review. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:21 pm 
NickOn wrote:
Hi TelexStar. Hi everyone.
I've just registered to cameralabs and I've seen your post concerning the LowePro Sling Shot 100 AW that you own.
I'm about to buy a new D80 + VR 18-200, and I noticed that it is in fact what you own. Could you please confirm if the D80 with that lens mounted fit in the bag?

Sorry, I've been away on holiday. I've replied to your PM. The D80 with the 18-200mm lens attached fits very snugly in the 100AW version, with enough room in the main compartment for the hood, another small sized lens, spare battery(ies) and probably a flash, although I haven't got one yet to test this. My lens/camera cover caps as well as a blower/brush fit in the small outside pocket, leaving the top smaller compartment free for any other additional bits and pieces I might need.

One note to add after a months use. I've been in 2 situations when it's started raining; on the first occasion I threw up the all weather cover right away which I was able to do in a about ten seconds. After checking the bag when the rain sub-sided, everything under the cover was bone dry. Great stuff - exactly what you want!

The second occasion was when I left a train station for my brothers house. The rain looked really light and I thought it was only a couple of minutes to my destination so I didn't bother with the all-weather cover. It actually turned out to be a lot heavier than I thought and I was in it for about 7 minutes in total. The bag on the outside was pretty wet but thankfully the inside was completely dry. Good news all round!

I won't be doing that again though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:20 pm 
Fantastic review and great pics ! Have anybody tested also the Lowe Pro Rover AW II ? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:46 pm 
I too have the Slingshot that I got with my E-510 in D.C last week, its is a very good bag and the dual carrying system works very well. As is the all weather cover.

There is enough room for a standard body and lens and a few extras

9/10 Over all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:21 pm 
Does anyone know if this bag will fit in a 350d with a 70-300 on in the "ready" position?

I wondered if anyone has this long a lens on in the Slingshot 100AW or would you need the 200Aw to fit it in?

Any thoughts.

Glenn :D