Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:11 am 
I am trying to make a decision between K10-D vs. Olympus E-510. I spent some time with both of them yesterday at the local camera store. I like the build quality of Pentax and the features (LiveView, edits in playback) of E-510. I use a 35mm Pentax ZX7 now and also a Powershot G2. Trying to decide between them using various reviews has not been easy. I would like to hear what this forum thinks.

Also, I stumbled upon this Samsung GX-10 that seems to be the same body as K10-D, but with a different lens kit than the K10-D. It is cheaper by about 150$ or more. I haven't seen Camera Labs review on it. Any opinion on Samsung?

Thanks,
-S.I.S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:28 am 
Site Admin

As I understand it (although I may be wrong), the Samsung version is virtually identical, so a lot boils down to price and which badge you prefer to have on the front...

You've done the right thing in picking both cameras up though. Does the build quality of the K10D outweigh the features of the E-510 - or vice versa?

I'd also recommend comparing the lens ranges as availability of certain models you may be after in the future will be a big factor.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:09 am 
Thanks Gordon for the response. Samsung also seem to have added the scene modes that could be used occasionally. How did they differ from Pentax on this? Probably added their own firmware.

Coming back to the question on E-510 vs. K10-D, I am going back to the local store this evening to have a second look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:26 am 
Site Admin

I really think you can't underestimate personal look and feel - and your gut instinct. You can compare features till the cows come home, but which one feels like a camera you'd like to use all the time...? You should look at your camera and think - I REALLY like this thing and want to take some photos with it!

It stands for a great deal!