Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:06 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone,

Today Panasonic announced the first camera based on the new Micro Four Thirds Standard: the Lumix DMC-G1.

Micro Four Thirds bodies take the sensor from traditional Four Thirds bodies, but dispense with the mirror and optical viewfinder for smaller bodies which are also silent in operation. The new G1 features a new 12.1 Megapixel Live MOS sensor, a 3in screen which fully flips out for unusual angles, a highly detailed electronic viewfinder, HDMI output and Panasonic's Intelligent Auto. Panasonic has also announced two new Micro Four Thirds zooms with optical stabilisation.

Find out how this exciting new hybrid compares to both DSLRs and compacts in our Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 preview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:55 am 
I hope you can give us a review soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:48 am 

Everywhere I look there is stated there is no movie mode, but what does the film mode do then on the top right of the camera next to the ModeDial?

Wout

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:01 am 
My impression was that the new micro 4/3 was supposed to bridge the gap between cameras like the FZ18/28/30 and 50 to the SLR's

Therefore anyone who enjoyed the FZ series and especially their all round flexibility of being able to take virtually any type of picture including superzoom and macro without changing lenses would be satisified.

However rather then producing an FZ style fixed lens superzoom they seem thus far, with the G1, to have produced just a smaller DSLR which has interchangable lenses. So who is this camera actually aimed at?

Obviously at this stage there is no way of telling if this camera will satisify IQ conniseurs but it doesnt seem too me to be a simple move up to the G1 when you consider that you will need to carry around different lenses etc etc. Its like one step forward and almost 2 back.

I guess we will only know when Panasonic produce the follow up to the FZ28. Will this use the micro 4/3 technology with a fixed lens superzoom?.. If so i think that will be the camera that will open the door for those looking to improve IQ etc from the FZ series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:05 am 
Not sure what to think about this new Panasonic model. I was hoping the micro 4/3rds standard would bring out cameras more like the Leica. A REALLY compact but versatile camera. I'm sure there's scope for cameras like that with micro 4/3rds but this Panasonic model just looks like a small DSLR and it's not really what I'm interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:08 am 
Anyone in sales and marketing knows that anything new to the market really needs a unique selling point. USP

So what is the USP of the G1?

Is it the first compact with superzoom to offer DSLR quality images? No

Is it the first DSLR with a fixed lens that offers the IQ of a traditional dslr but the all round convenience of a compact? Nope

Is it the smallest DSLR on the market? Maybe but only just, when compared to the Olympus 420.

Is the new micro 4/3 image quality likely to set a whole new standard? Unlikely

Is it great value for money? With prices starting at just £250 to £300 for your first DSLR camera? Not certain but not likely..

So it begs the question what is the G1 for and who is it aimed at?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:17 am 
Very interesting! Thanks Gordon.

I wasn't expecting the first micro 4/3rds body to be a Panasonic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:39 am 
Let's hope Olympus (or Leica) will produce something like a 14-150 Micro 4/3 lens. With that you could create a compact camera with substantial zoom range and much less need to change lenses that will appeal to the photographers who are looking for something smaller and with less hassle than a DSLR.

A zoom range of 28-300mm in 35 mm equivalent on a 4/3 sensor is something I could live with I think.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:08 pm 
Woot!
Waiting for a price quote....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:42 pm 
I completely agree with neilm16.

The G1 is lacking something that makes it "must have".

The E-420 and the G1 have the same sensor sizes, virtually same weight and same physical size. You can make the double amount of pictures with the E-420 before recharging. You have a real ViewFinder. You have a great collection of Olympus lenses.

What's going for the G1 are available image stabilisation and the adjustable screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:22 pm 
If Olympus can make a 4/3 body the size of an E-420 I expect they must be able to make an even smaller one for the Micro 4/3 standard. And there is no good reason why it shouldn't also have a video mode and other goodies you can find on compacts without shutter like a high burst rate. I don't know quite what the thinking is here by Panasonic.

Such a small body combined with a Micro 4/3 14-150mm lens could have the makings of a DSL(R)-Superzoom camera.

Ben

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:54 pm 
neilm16 wrote:

Well, it's the first EVIL camera in human history. We all know the pros and cons of the EVIL system, but nobody had the guts to make one until now.

Apart from that, it allows you to use most MF lenses ever made, including the Leica M rangefinder lenses, which cannot be mounted on regular 4/3rds, so neither on others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:11 pm 
I agree that the Lumix DMC-G1 is lacking some essential features one expects on a camera like this.

But we shouldn't underestimate this innovation. I believe what Panasonic shows us will be the successor of DSLRs - not now but in a few years. When electronic viewfinders get better (and they definitely will), when the AF on cameras like this gets quicker and when a video mode will be implemented then it will be the perfect camera for millions of users. Professionals will probably stick with DSLRs but most amateurs will find the new system the perfect camera.

In the future good cameras won't need to have a complicated mirror switch system.

The industry will be pleased. First they sold everybody digital compact cameras. Then we spent much money in a new DSLR equipment. Soon we will have to invest in a new system.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:42 pm 
chickenflavoredchips wrote:
neilm16 wrote:

Well, it's the first EVIL camera in human history. We all know the pros and cons of the EVIL system, but nobody had the guts to make one until now.

Apart from that, it allows you to use most MF lenses ever made, including the Leica M rangefinder lenses, which cannot be mounted on regular 4/3rds, so neither on others.

It must be remembered that the whole point of panasonic developing the new micro 4/3 is to attract those that currently use compact cameras some 92% of the camera market approx... into discovering the world of improved image quality.

If Panasonic are too succeed in this quest the camera must be small, easy to use and understand and good value. Most people currently with a compact camera are not going to know about the EVIL System or really care about it IMHO.

I do not think anyone who is already in the DSLR world will be itching too get hold of the G1 as it doesnt offer anything above what they probably already have or could have with an Olympus 420..

Therefore the target market must be those moving up from compact for the first time.. If this is the case i think a fixed lens version which uses a similar approach in terms of size and all round functionality of the FZ18 or FZ28 plus of course good pricing (around £250 to £300) will be the real camera to make people move across in large numbers... Sadly i dont think the G1 is that camera...

In fact i would go one step further and say if Panasonic really want large numbers of people to buy into this technological move i think they must provide a fixed lens solution similar to the FZ28 as few people are going to want to change lenses or carry them with them etc. There will of course always be the enthusiasts who will argue that they love the DSLR plus all the kit that goes with it..but it isnt going to attract large numbers of people.. which is of course what the micro 4/3 is really for..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:23 pm 

Hello fliwatuet, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum.
May I hazard a guess that you're German-speaking?
Well, on to your 1st post.
On the front it looks like micro-4/3 has hit some segment of the market that looks promissing. But I think that it is will remain a niche! Why?
- to be smaller you not only need a smaller body, but smaller lenses too. So add a decent zoom to a micro-4/3 body and you still end up with something bulky, definately not pocketable!
- people having/buying 2 or three interchangable lenses don't wory caryying a "full" 4/3 body along. Those bodies are already pretty vompact.
- I wouldn't underestimate the disadvantage of an evf vs. an optical view-finder. Listen even to "soccer-mom" looking through a DSLR-body with decent vf: All the ooh's and aah's 8) ...and many pros concur!
- many promising niches are endangered by products from above (4/3- and APS-C-DSLRs) and below (bridge/super-zoom- and p&s-cameras) encroaching on its turf. And that war is already fierce!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next