Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:03 pm 
I'm looking to get my first digital camera to update my Nikon Nuvis S APS camera, which is stylish and well built but doesn't take great photos or have the convenience of digital.

I want a compact which will fit in to a cycling jersey rear pocket, so this rules out superzooms. Having looked through photos I've taken, they are mostly outdoors - landscapes, buildings, events and so on. Sports I follow include motor racing and cycle racing, so would like to take some action shots but am happy to do without a big zoom in return for the convenience of a compact.

Image quality is important, although not important enough for me to go for an SLR. I won't be printing large images, in fact most viewing would be on screen. Interior use would be limited but I'd like it to be able to cope with the usual party shots when needed. I'm happy to play around with post-processing. Not sure whether manual control would be a benefit?

Camera Labs has been a really helpful source of information in deciding which camera to get. My budget is £100-160ish. Top of the shortlist is the Fuji F31d. The only drawbacks I can see with this are that it doesn't have a particularly wide angle lens or much zoom and it's not the best looking camera! I'd consider spending a bit more on the Ricoh Caplio R6 or Panasonic DMC-TZ2 at £160-180 for sleeker looks, wider wide angle and much longer zoom, although reviews indicate image quality would be poorer than the Fuji? I've ruled out the Canon A630 on size and the need for additional AA batteries, although I like the flip-out screen.

Any recommendations based on my criteria? Should I just get the Fuji and use it, or is the extra money worth spending on the other two?! To an extent, I won't really know what I want or need until I start using it, but I'd like to start with something decent before thinking about upgrading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:09 pm 

Hello Simmers, and welcome to the Camer Labs forum!
I'd recommend looking at the Pana TZ3 as tested here: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/PanasonicTZ3/
It's compact, has a 10x zoom starting at an equivalent 28mm and has optical stabilization (much better than the Fuji solution)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Simmers, I agree - the TZ3 is a great compact, and perfect unless you want a super-slim model.

For a slimmer model, albeit with a shorter zoom range, you might want to check out the FX30 here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_FX30/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:12 pm 
Thanks for the speedy replies guys - sounds like the DMC-TZ3 is the one to go for then! :wink: I'll have to start saving up then, as it's over my budget at £220. :( I do like it though and it would be my first choice, money no object.

I had overlooked the FX-30, so perhaps I will take another look at that. I've seen that it can be picked up for £120 which seems a good deal. Compared with the F31d at the same price, it has a wide angle lens, image stabilisation and slimmer styling. Hmmm, decisions, decisions...:lol:

Thanks again for your advice! I'll let you know how I get on. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:00 am 
Well, I've now bought a Ricoh Caplio R6. :D Sorry not to take your advice, :roll: but I went for the Ricoh for its smaller size and lower price. The TZ2 did have the better screen but was chunkier and more expensive. Seems to offer most of the features I was looking for and has had some decent reviews elsewhere. Just need to play around with it now and take some pictures! If I take any good ones, I'll post up links. :wink: