Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:55 pm 
Hi i have been into photography for just over 4 month's now and this is my best pic so far i would really just like some feedback and any suggestion's on how i could have improved this photo or whether it's actually any good in experience person's eye's I used photoshop element's to enhance sharpness and colour in window's, was taken at National History museum London .

Last edited by Charming-Pig on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:05 pm 
Charming-Pig wrote:
Hi i have been into photography for just over 4 month's now and this is my best pic so far i would really just like some feedback and any suggestion's on how i could have improved this photo or whether it's actually any good in experience person's eye's I used photoshop element's to enhance sharpness and colour in window's, was taken at National History museum London .

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/256 ... 9b26_b.jpg

turning the camera sideways wouldve gotten the stairs in the shot.

i feel that since you cropped out the stairs the picture leaves me wanting more.

other than that well done. it's beautiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:13 pm 
It certainly is a very interesting shot. Because it's so dark in there and there is a large contrast in brightness produced by the light from the windows and the interior, it could be a candidate for HDR. (see here) This would ensure that all parts of the image are exposed correctly (the ceiling and sides are quite dark at the moment).

In terms of composition I feel that it would have been better if we could see to the bottom of the stairs. It looks a bit too cut-off for me at the moment.

Also, I can't help but wonder what the shot would look like with a tilted perspective. Forum member Photoj has written a very useful entry in his blog about this. I myself am still learning when to use a tilt beneficially (ie not just for the sake of it) so I'm sure Photoj will tell me if I'm on the wrong track. :)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:14 pm 
palakaboy-
I see what you mean the trouble i had was no tri-pod were allowed in there so I had to use the stair rail as A support so i couldn't really tilt. Thanks for your suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:17 pm 
Oh yeah, what were the camera settings?

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:32 pm 
Thanks for your advice I have actually been looking at doing some HDR photo's. I know i would have been alot happier with the photo without stair's being cut off but again it was compromised because I was limited by the support. As far as the setting's go I can't actually find the original at the moment to see i will have another look later to see, I uploaded it on Flickr a while ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:37 pm 
What's your Flickr? We should be able to tell from there.

(btw, I asked for the settings because I assumed the lighting was too poor for you too adequately hand-hold at a tilted angle at the slow shutter speed?)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:48 pm 
It is http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash2097/ my account is very limited for public view's it is all currently set to private i think. Yes it was fairly dark in there plus I have the shakiest hand's you have ever seen lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:54 pm 
Ah yes. The settings can be found by clicking More Properties.

Well, 1/30 sec is slow, but not as slow as I was expecting. The stablisation would probably have let you go slower, especially as you were only at 18mm. 8)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 pm 
Excellent.

I hope you made another shot of the lower part. If you did you should try to stitch them together.

BTW here's how you can make the photo show up directly in the thread:
The Flickr page explaining how to obtain the URL of your photos:

http://www.flickr.com/help/photos/#68

Then enclose that URL with image tags and the photo will show up in the thread..

[img]URL%20of%20your%20photo%20without%20leading%20or%20trailing%20spaces%20and%20ending%20in.jpg[/img]

Then check with the [Preview] button and if everything is OK post with the [Submit] button.
That's the simplest way to do it. You can still edit your posting to make it show up.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:04 pm 
I don't shoot at the Natural History Museum, but rather the British Museum for teaching. The idea is pretty similar - I find an awkward subject that might be hard to frame or technically capture because of the lighting. This isn't the easiest of images to capture. I think everything's been said about your image, Charming-pig. It is missing that something, be it stairs or just a focal point. It's a fair effort though. Thanks for sharing.

Markh - thanks for the mention. Tilt can add a lot of dynamism into an image and is a good tool to have in the armoury. I think your instinct that a tilt here would work is spot on. I would be trying a tilt here to get the height and depth in the frame. Even though without a tripod it can be attempted with an ISO boost and a good handholding technique. How have you found tilting so far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:16 am 
Thanks Cam-I-Am that was explained alot better then in the rule's thread.

Thanks PhotoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:04 am 
Photoj wrote:
Markh - thanks for the mention. Tilt can add a lot of dynamism into an image and is a good tool to have in the armoury. I think your instinct that a tilt here would work is spot on. I would be trying a tilt here to get the height and depth in the frame. Even though without a tripod it can be attempted with an ISO boost and a good handholding technique. How have you found tilting so far?

No problem (mention). And pretty well so far I think. I have about 8Gb to get through from my recent holiday and I think there are a few attempts in there somewhere.

Mark