Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:36 pm 
Hi guys,

I just got my Fuji S9600 and it is a really nice camera but it seems to have no live view! I know how that sounds, but really! On my old Minolta Dimage 7, you change some settings and see the result directly on the main screen. I though this would be the same with the S9600, as it is a Superzoom/Bridge camera but it isn't! I change some settings, but the image on the sreen always stays nice an bright, even if the real picture is totally black!

I fear to ask, but am I crazy, do I have to turn the feature on, or is the camera broken? It just got back from Fuji an they changed everything except the Body!

please help,

Karhallarn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:59 pm 
You're giving us very little information to work with. What do you mean with "the real picture"?

Does the view change when you half press the shutter? Is it the same in the EVF and the LCD? You are working in another mode than Auto? What are you changing for instance?

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:11 pm 
It is the same i view finder and display.

For example: I am in M-Mode, an I sit in my room and focus the wall. The picture on the display stays the same, with 1/300s, 1/125s and 1/60s. It is always clear and you can see erverything. I have the ISO set to 80 and the flash shut. So nnow I take the picture an the picture is as good as black, as you would expect in a dark room, with this fast shutter speeds! But the Fuji hasnt shown.

So it is like watching through the viewfinder of a dslr. You see what you wanna shoot but you don't see, if you have chosen the right settings until you take the picture!

ciao,

Karhallarn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:45 pm 
It doesn't sound all that wrong. The LCD and viewfinder are there to show you the subject you will be taking the photo of. You'll want to see that as clearly as possible. The camera will provide you with a (reasonably) clear picture when it is dark because you would use flash (or an appropriate high ISO) and you still want to see what you are shooting. A dark viewfinder is of no use. The camera also provides you with all kind of exposure information on your LCD and EVF. A bridge camera is more like a DSLR in that way. That information is what you should use to decide whether the shot will be properly exposed or not. Not how it looks on the LCD or viewfinder. When you are in M-mode you are in control but also solely responsible for a proper exposure. In more automated modes the camera will provide you with more 'help' in that respect.

I use a Fuji S8000fd which is fairly similar in many ways. I don't use how it looks in my viewfinder to judge exposure settings but use the numbers and other signals the camera shows me and the live histogram to do that.

Learn to use that information and you'll be all right. Don't move to M mode too quickly. Start in P mode. Use A or S mode when appropriate. I find these are much more practical to work with. M mode is rarely necessary and I only use it when the situation demands it.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:50 pm 
I just wondered, because my old Minolta Dimage 7, which was a professional Bridge Camera, did show me the aktual preview of the photo, I shot! I mean I can handle it with the histogram an the other information the fuji gives me, but I wondered, why it was different from my Minolta and the Kodak Z710, I used before getting my Minolta!

But thank you anyway!

ciao,

Karhallarn