I am a new member who is a research freak. For my sanity I decided to ask for help early.
I have been using a Canon 500n/Rebel since 1998. Did the OE with it and very happy with the photos to accompany the memories. I have a bog standard 28-80mm lens and spent a bit more at the time of purchase on a 75-300mm EF 4-5.6 II.
With a young family we have been using a compact Sony DSC-P92 that I spent hours researching before buying and am quite frankly disappointed with the final prints.
Put a roll of film through the Canon at family event in weekend and have the bug back. I really enjoyed the experience of creating an image that I have not been drawn into doing with the Sony. So now I am thinking to move with the times and going digital.
A few ideas after several hours research this pm.
Feedback on the following would be much appreciated.
1. Assuming I can use both my exisiting lenses successfully on either the 350/400D I intend to buy a digital body only and hang on to the 500n body? Yes/No/other...?
2. Is the benefit of 10MP over 8MP worth the $ for my likely use. That is photo album prints, the odd 8x10 and possible future viewing through whatever media we all end up with in our lounge? Possibly a loaded Q? I have read both reviews on site here and am leaning towards 350 for $ reasons that I could use elsewhere
3. Do I need to be wary of parallel imported products or are they equally sound?
4. What other costs outside the body could I expect in order to make full use of digital. I have a newish laptop that I would be keen to make use of in terms of manipulating images. Would I need accessories to transfer images other than that provided with camera? What about money on memory?
5. Is this an awesome website or what? Impartial and very thorough research.
Thanks in advance for any help.