Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:38 am 
Site Admin

Just make sure you run the vendor through that site to see if they're above board! Myself? I normally buy through Amazon, Adorama and the other big names...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:05 pm 
Gordon, I meant, which camera do you shoot with?

I'm not worried about the vendor...I deal with this vendor on a daily basis...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:32 pm 

Hi mwahlert!
As the nikon VR 18-200mm simply is the best super-zoom around, you have no alternative manufacturer-wise! Go Nikon :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:54 pm 
There is a possible advantage of the D80 over the D40, when both are coupled with the VR 18-200: if the battery on the D80 has better performance (i.e. lasts longer) than the one on the D40, then that is certainly a thing to consider, as the VR (vibration reduction), when active, drains the battery much faster than just auto-focusing.

While I'm more than happy with my own camera, I'd say that if you can afford it, go with the D80 + VR 18-200 combination.

... and then Thomas can claim another commission with Nikon. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:03 pm 

Nope, no money in there for me :(
I'm a totally independent consultant :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:43 pm 
luis wrote:
There is a possible advantage of the D80 over the D40, when both are coupled with the VR 18-200: if the battery on the D80 has better performance (i.e. lasts longer) than the one on the D40, then that is certainly a thing to consider, as the VR (vibration reduction), when active, drains the battery much faster than just auto-focusing.

While I'm more than happy with my own camera, I'd say that if you can afford it, go with the D80 + VR 18-200 combination.

... and then Thomas can claim another commission with Nikon. :lol:

how does the d40 feel w/ the 18-200 attached? do you have another camera you can snap a pic of them mated together? i really like the small size of the d40 (d40x)...but if the d80 is THAT much better and worth carrying the extra weight and size around...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:36 pm 
mwahlert wrote:
how does the d40 feel w/ the 18-200 attached? do you have another camera you can snap a pic of them mated together? i really like the small size of the d40 (d40x)

Oh, it feels quite heavy. You'll not want to wear the strap around your neck, so a small carrying bag is a must. For that combination, the weight of the camera body alone is not that relevant.

As for the feeling, in terms of handling, it's quite nice. The D40 has quite good ergonomics. You can manage the camera in one hand, without fear of letting go.

Of course, the camera body is small (and light) and the lens is quite large (and heavy), so it looks a bit awkward. And you get more of a feeling of "oh, what a super lens". :-)

I'm currently in the process of selling my Canon Ixus 75, but here are a couple of shots taken with my good old "brick" HP 735...

[ I've removed both photos, as they had served their purpose - Luis ]

Last edited by luis on Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:58 pm 

I've no prob to carry my D80+VR18-200 over my shoulders for hours...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:50 pm 
the d40 does look funny w/ the 18-200 mounted... i just need to stop at best buy or something tonight to touch and feel the d80 before i finalize my decision..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:03 pm 
went ahead and ordered the d80...

my 18-200mm lens shipped last night, it shouldn't be long before i have the body....

paid $868 for the d80 body including shipping and $650 for the lens :)

also got back every penny i paid for my d40 kit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:08 pm 

When I was a teenager I used to think it wouldn't be too long before I had the body too. Now, at 42, looking in the mirror reveals the flaw in my plan, lol.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:15 pm 
zorro wrote:
When I was a teenager I used to think it wouldn't be too long before I had the body too. Now, at 42, looking in the mirror reveals the flaw in my plan, lol.

Zorro 8)

LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:39 pm 

Hi and congrats, mwahlert!
Welcome to the club of totally satisfied D80+VR18-200 owners.
Please update your signature with your latest gear!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:55 pm 
Well I am in the same dilema, I am only 15 so it is harder for me to get money though. I have had mine for about 2 months and in need up of an upgrade becasue the low resolution, bad AF system, and lack of buttons that go to stuff like ISO and WB automatically. So I am considering thE d80 OR D200. Not sure yet but I am thinking I will go with the D80 because I can have it much sooner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:47 pm 

Last edited by mwahlert on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.