Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Canon digital camara
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:15 pm 

I would like some suggestions on purchaseing a camara for simple use,
I have also put the same question on the Kodak forum..
Im a novice and wouldnt use it for anything except point n shoot shots.
Would like to stay under the $200 range,, knowing that I would have to also purchase a larger memory than comes with the camera.
If you have any good ideas on this please let me know,
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Hi Geno, I am currently preparing a mini group test of compact cameras which will be on the website mid this coming week. While they may be slightly pricier than your suggested range, it should give you some ideas of what to look for and how they perform at this level.

Thanks,

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:03 pm 

Hi Geno
I would stick to the most recognised brands such as Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Fuji etc. If price is critical, I would tend to go for one that takes Compact Flash (CF) or Secure Digital (SD) memory cards since these work out a little cheaper. You also need to decide whether you are bothered about whether a camera has a proprietary battery or whether you would prefer to use AA rechargables. If the former, yoy may want to budget for an additional battery if you are planning to be away from a mains power source for any period of time. If the latter, then a couple of sets of AA NiMH rechargables and a charger will be needed.

I personally would not get too excited about the number of megapixels the camera boasts. Things like zoom range (wide-angle to telephoto) speed of performance, how close and quickly it will focus and lens quality are actually more important. $150 gets you a Canon 3 megapixel A410, leaving a bit spare for 4 AA batteries (it uses 2), charger and SD memory card. You'll get a movie mode, but no sound. Hope this helps!

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:18 pm 

Forgot to mention that my understanding is that the best places to buy from in the USA are Amazon and B&H Photo. (Not speaking from experience, but just what I've picked up from other places).

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:48 am 

I agree with Simon about the Canon A410. Low price, but the pictures I've seen from one have been great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:33 pm 

Hey there geno52,

I know that this is a little over your budget, but you wont go wrong with either the Ixus 850IS and Powershot A710IS.. Yes it's a little more work for them but they would last for years. You wouldn't have to upgrade to a newer digital camera.

7 megapixels for a compact is already enough for me in my opinion. More than that, and you would have to get a bigger SD/CF card..

Just my two cents,
- m i n g