Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:59 pm 
Hello everyone…this is my first post and it’s one of those questions that is not a photography question as such but more a question about the price of SD cards and other media.

Ok, I went into my local Jessop’s store today and was in total shock when I saw the price of there SD cards! In Jessop’s they are selling a 2gig Sandisk Ultra2 for a massive £44.99. I have seen this same card on play.com for as little as £17.99 delivered!!.

My question is…is there any physical difference (apart from the price) in the Jessop’s card for £44.99 and the play.com card for £17.99? As you can see, that is a massive saving of £27.00 if you get it from play.com…surely there must be a physical difference to justify the price difference.

Thanks

Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:15 pm 

Hello Wayne, and welcome to the Camera Labs forum!

Well, the street price for 2GB SD-cards - even the SanDisk UltraII - is hovering around 20EUR (approx. 14 BGP) in Germany/Austria. So just make sure that the card on play.com is actually the same quality. That's it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:06 pm 
Hello and thanks for replying

I forgot to mention, I live in the United Kingdom where prices are considerably higher anyways.

Just to clarify then, there is no difference in the high street cards than those on play.com or even Amazon for that matter? It tell you, it a massive difference.
I was just convinced that there had to be a difference, I thought maybe the play.com’s sd cards may be cheap copies…I don’t want to risk putting cheap unbranded SD cards in my D40.

Thanks again

Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:14 pm 
It's true that the price difference is very steep.

However, my husband has said that the price for memory cards will increase significantly in the coming months because there's a shortage due to the iPod's success. Apple computer is buying all the available ones and the factories can't keep up with the demand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:23 pm 

Yeah, and Samsung had a power-outage in Taiwan...
But there had been rumors of rising mem-prices in the past, not much happened.
If the e-shop has a good reputation, buy from them for the lowest price :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:37 pm 
OMG! If prices are set to rise I reckon its best to stock up now on SD cards, at £17.99 (uk price) for a Sandisk 2gig ultra2 you cant go wrong!

Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:40 pm 

Yup, go ahead!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:42 pm 
neo36uk wrote:
Hello everyone…this is my first post and it’s one of those questions that is not a photography question as such but more a question about the price of SD cards and other media.

Ok, I went into my local Jessop’s store today and was in total shock when I saw the price of there SD cards! In Jessop’s they are selling a 2gig Sandisk Ultra2 for a massive £44.99. I have seen this same card on play.com for as little as £17.99 delivered!!.

My question is…is there any physical difference (apart from the price) in the Jessop’s card for £44.99 and the play.com card for £17.99? As you can see, that is a massive saving of £27.00 if you get it from play.com…surely there must be a physical difference to justify the price difference.

Thanks

Wayne

Jessops in my opinion has always been expensive, don't shop there unless you really have to I got a 4Gb Sandisk Extreme III CF Card for £37.99 from play.com compared to just under £80 for same card at Jessops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:54 pm 
Hi Roy

Yep, I totally agree with you, you can imagine my shock when I saw the price! I does get you thinking at fist though…that there must be some build difference but not the case hey?

I was also looking at the bags for my D40 and my 18-70mm AF-S lens, I picked the first one up that looked the one for the job and that was £50.00 OMG! I’m after a bag big enough to fit the d40 in with the lens attached as I only have the one lens.

Wayne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:05 am 
Site Admin

I'm afraid to say I've seen 2GB SanDisk Ultra II cards on sale on the UK high street for around 45 GBP, when they're readily available on Amazon and other reputable online suppliers for 10-15 GBP. Basically the accessories are where the highstreet stores make their money. Many will price match on a body, but then try and sell you a battery and card at an inflated price.

Of course you can't entirely blame them. Most of us have gone into a store to try something, then ordered it online afterwards. There's also higher running costs for a high street presence. It's certainly a toughie, but when cards are overpriced by this much it does wind me up. Maybe 20 GBP would be tolerable, but 45 is taking the p***.

Gordon

PS - I would beware of cards sold on ebay though as there are a lot of fakes about. I would however recommend buying from Amazon (especially through our link!) as they're above board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:30 am 
neo36uk wrote:
OMG! If prices are set to rise I reckon its best to stock up now on SD cards, at £17.99 (uk price) for a Sandisk 2gig ultra2 you cant go wrong!

Wayne

At the risk of making your £17.99 price sound like a bad deal. MyMemory.co.uk have the 2gb Ultra II card listed at £13.99.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:31 pm 
Hi folks

Thanks for all the information; I was not expecting such a big response…Great forum. :-)

I will be getting my sd card very shortly
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: