Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:16 pm 
hello all Pentax K10D users, i'm a new in here, and in general in Dslr photography.

i would be very grateful if anyone, who owns K10D and shoots in raw, would explain all the process of doing it.

i'll state several questions, that i'm interested, and would like anyone to answer them and add something that is necessary to know. thanks in advance. so:

is ISO, WB, matter when in shooting in RAW?
does such things as saturation, contrast and sharpness matter?

if i shoot in raw, and then only make jpeg in camera with the same settings as my jpeg sharpness, saturation, contrast, will it will be different? (better quality)

how to get the best quality of images?

does pentax computer software for raw procesing is good? do i need a different one?

what is most important when converting raw into jpeg?

if i will not change any settings will it be beter quality, then simple jpeg shot in jpeg mode?

maybe some of these are a bit stupid questions, but, i'm totally not familiar with raw.

well if anyone will manage to explain something to me, i'll be very grateful.
:)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:20 am 
Hello mystic,

Mystic wrote:

No.

Mystic wrote:
if i shoot in raw, and then only make jpeg in camera with the same settings as my jpeg sharpness, saturation, contrast, will it will be different? (better quality)

It will be processed through the K10D's processor, therefore should be identical to shooting jpeg only. However you do get to do choose the WB, sharpness, contrast, saturation after you have taken the shot rather than before if you have shot jpeg only.

Mystic wrote:
how to get the best quality of images?

Shoot RAW, use good lens, use appropriate camera settings...

Mystic wrote:
does pentax computer software for raw procesing is good? do i need a different one?

Pentax Photo Lab is decent and offer plenty of adjustments. Give it try first, if you don't find it useful in your need then you might as well look at Photoshop, Lightroom, Paintshop Pro etc.

Mystic wrote:
what is most important when converting raw into jpeg?

Probably WB and maybe amount of compression.

Mystic wrote:
if i will not change any settings will it be beter quality, then simple jpeg shot in jpeg mode?

I don't think so. Saving a raw file as jpeg is basically the same as shooting jpeg alone in the camera. They go through the same engine.

If you post process the raw file on a computer, then it might be different. Different software will handle the raw file differently.

Post subject: Big thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:34 pm 
Thanks byte,

your reply was very helpful.
today, i shot only in raw, and now will try to post process the files in Pentax lab,

I will experiment and if i'll stuck somewhere, i'll ask again!
appreciate your time, byte.

if anyone else has anything to contribute to my questions, i will read it carefully. thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:01 pm 
byte wrote:
Hello mystic,

Mystic wrote:

No.

ISO :!: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:28 am 
Sorry, ISO matters. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:50 pm 

Bonjour,

Please find the results on my own RAW and JPEG tests about red clipping :arrow: here and :arrow: there.

On most of the cases, JPEG format proves to be fine. In specific cases however, JPEG doesn't suit and then shooting in RAW provides the opportunity to post-process and fine-tune the image. Pentax Laboratory, the software provided with the K10D, is great (and free!) and offers plenty of parameters to play with.

One practical solution is to start shooting on RAW+JPEG and to compare results. You'll learn when to trust the K10D built-in processing unit and when to avoid it. This is part of the learning curve.

In my case, shooting the moon required RAW format: see :arrow: here.

Enjoy :)

Last edited by rei_vilo on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:15 pm 
thanks rei_vilo, for your suggestions.

i found pentax laboratory a bit weak, for raw processing i use cs3 plugin camera raw 4.2, it does much better job, and more parameters can be adjusted.

now, if i know that the photoshoot is important i shoot in raw+jpeg mode.