Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: upgrading from D40 to...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:19 pm 
i am new to the DSLR world and have only had my nikon d40 w/ kit lens for a few months now. i still don't know much about setting the controls manually, and have basically just been using the auto modes. i have been pretty happy with the camera and kit lens while i learn my way around the camera.

i have a nikon 18-200mm VR on order, and was planing on using it with the D40. however, my friend has offered to buy it, so i am considering upgrading to the D40x or D80. i like the small size of the d40 (d40x).

i am also open to other makes and models but i really like the VR and wide range the 18-200mm provides as i don't want to be bothered with switching lenses unless absolutely necessary. i can cancel the nikon 18-200mm if there is something better.

thank you for your help!

also, when registering for this forum i managed to mis type my user name (wanted mwahlert)... anyway i can change that!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:03 am 
Site Admin

Hi, if you login to your account settings, you should be able to change your username. If not, re-register with the correct name and we'll delete this account.

As for the 18-200mm, you'll find many people here who think it's a wonderful lens! If you find the 6 Mpixel resolution limiting on the D40, then consider the D40x, and if you're finding the controls a bit restrictive on the D40(x), go for the D80!

I've compared all three on this page:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD40x/page6.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:55 am 
Gordon, thank you for the fast response. I tried to register another account but it will not let me because I'd like to use the same email address. If you would like to delete this account, please do so, and I will re-register.... I can not change the user name under profile options.

I don't feel like the 6MP sensor is limiting me, nor are the controls, however, I do sometimes feel I would benefit from the D80 in its more advanced metering/auto focus systems. What do you think?

Thank you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi, I just changed your username to mwahlert! Should be fine now...

As for your upgrade, if you think 6 mpixels is enough and you're happy with the AF on your D40, then I'd say stick with it. Maybe invest in some nice lenses now, then if you find the body limiting in the future, consider upgrading it to the next generation models...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:01 am 
I am aware that the D40 and D40x do not have auto focus motors in the body, as opposed to the D80 which does...which makes me feel like when I pair the D80 w/ the AF-S VR 18-200mm Nikon lens I am paying for a feature that goes to waste. Unless, my understanding is wrong...

Cameras such as the D80 that have the auto focus motor in the body do not need lenses with auto focus motors in them, right? I know Sigma has a 18-200mm lens w/ OS but AFAIK they don't have it in a Nikon mount yet. I feel like that would be a better match at a lesser price because it does not have the auto focus motor, right?

When you pair a Nikon 18-200mm AF-S VR lens to a D80 body which auto focus motor is used, and are the auto focus motors in the camera bodys faster, and or do they use less power?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:07 am 
Site Admin

The AF motor in the D80 body is for use with non AF-S lenses. Generally these are older or fixed focal length models.

If you are using an AF-S lens on any Nikon body, like the 18-200mm VR, it will ALWAYS use the motor built into the lens - it's quicker and quieter.

So yes, if you only buy AF-S lenses, you could say you're 'wasting' a feature on the D80, but it's not a biggie. It is a nice feature to have though if you think you'll ever buy non-AF-S lenses in the future.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:12 am 
if i plan on pairing the d40x or d80 w/ the 18-200mm and don't planing on changing lenses much, if ever, should i be too worried that the nikon bodies do not have any type of anti dust system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:21 am 
Hi everyone,

Sorry if I interrupted your "conversation" but here would be my advice: I would get the D80 and the 18-200mm lens, and no really, you don't have to worry about dust if you have Nikon Capture NX which removes dust in the computer from a "reference shot" taken with the camera. So keep me posted on how things turn out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:25 am 
thank you for your advice....

since i am not yet that experienced and not that comfortable with manual controls, will the d80 perform as well, if not better, then the d40 or d40x in "auto" modes?

and in practice, walking around with a body of its size/weight w/ a somewhat heavy lens attached, does it get very tiring? i've been happy w/ the size/weight of my d40 with kit lens...

also, should we expect nikon to replace the d80 with a newer model any time soon? i'm in no hurry..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:49 am 
mwahlert wrote:
thank you for your advice.... since i am not yet that experienced and not that comfortable with manual controls, will the d80 perform as well, if not better, then the d40 or d40x in "auto" modes? and in practice, walking around with a body of its size/weight w/ a somewhat heavy lens attached, does it get very tiring? i've been happy w/ the size/weight of my d40 with kit lens...

Hi again, the D80 I believe is equipped with a better light metering system, so yes the camera will perform better in auto modes and other preset programs. The camera even has 9 AF points to autofocus faster (rather than 3 on a D40). The body and weight is designed to be as light and comfortable as possible while still being durable, the D40 is not the best camera to attach a 18-200mm lens because the center of gravity will be on the lens, therefore is will sag down as you wear it around your neck.

The D80 balances out really well, the D80 is slightly more heavier and bigger but not by a massive amount. Also the D80 is nice to have, since it with progress with you, in other words, it can be a decent beginner level but then instantly satisfy the needs of a Pro.

Hope this helps! :D

P.S. The camera won't tire you out if you carry it all day.

Last edited by fearless leader on Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:49 am 

If you have the money buy the D80. It will do everything the D40 will do and do it better. Crucially for you, it has just as many auto modes as well, making it easy to grow into the camera as your confidence allows. With the inevitable caveat of affordability it's a no-brainer. IMHO.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:51 am 
i should add that i am not locked into the nikon brand....if i am overlooking something else, please speak up..

if you want to factor price into the equation, i can get the d80 for $895 and the 18-200mm VR lens for $650

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:43 am 
Site Admin

Presuming you're talking about US dollars, you should be able to get the D80 a bit cheaper - see the prices on our D80 review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD80/

Sounds like a good price on the 18-200mm though

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikkor18200mm/

But do always check a shop at www.resellerratings.com first.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:25 am 
yeah, i can probably pick up the body for a little less, but i might be willing to pay a little more for it because of who i'd be buying it from.... i don't think i'm going to find a better price on that lens anywhere short of off the back of a truck somewhere....

but... am i overlooking anything in particular from other vendors?

gordon, what do you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:14 am 
Did have time to read whole tread, but get the D80 then you can join the other 99% of D80 owners on this forum :)