Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tripod heads?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:15 pm 
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a tripod head and have been looking at this one:

http://www.kirkphoto.com/ballheads.html

which uses the Arca Swiss style mounting. It looks like a very well made tripod head, I saw it in my local shop and it's absolutely solid so this is currently top of my choice list. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what I should look at? I'd like an Arca Swiss compatible head as there's a number of mounting plates that look very useful including one for doing macro photography.

Thanks!

Welly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:57 pm 

Hi Welly,

If it's Arca-Swiss you want then why not go with the original? See my review here. From memory, while I was considering my own purchase I got the impression that the Kirk Photo units are well regarded, though in the end I only bought one of their plates for my 40D. The alternative ballhead that I was closely considering was the Markins Ball Head Q-Ball Q3 Emille but in the end the Arca-Swiss Z1 DP Ballhead won out.

Thom Hogan has some wise words on his site regarding ball-heads, though the article I linked to there is more about tripods.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:01 pm 
Ouch.. $550 :) It's a little more than I can justify although it looks fantastic and the reviews look to be very favourable. I think I might stick with the Kirk BH1 as it's a happy compromise and about $200 less!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:10 am 
I did see a Arca Swiss B1 head on ebay going reasonably cheap. I'm tempted to put a bid in. It's cheaper than the Kirk head if I bought that new and by all reports, the B1 head is fantastic.

Post subject: Markins or Kirk
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:01 am 
I just bought a Kirk Bh-3 and I am loving it. Its a great head. I was really close to choosing the Markins but in the end I decided I wouldn't like the friction control. I intend to use the head in the winter and it will be impossible to adjust the friction on the Markins with gloves on.

That being said, I strongly considered Cullmann heads, they are nice, solid and much cheaper. The Cullmann Magnesit 35 comes with a quick release assembly and gets great reviews...

Also, I just got Feisol tripod legs... the 3402n (on sale right now) and I'm real happy with it.

Finally, I was in B and H today and I saw an Arca-Swiss head, I think their highest weight carrying model (not sure the number) in the used section priced at $250. Thats a great bargain... I can't find it online but if you called the store I bet a salesperson could locate it for you if its still available.