Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: semi pro
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:38 pm 
just wondering... is a semi-pro camera say a 40D, an ok cam to shoot professionaly with? or does it even matter? the client probably couldn't tell the difference between the canon 450D and the 1Ds mkIII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:05 am 
Tomis - cameras don't actually matter to a certain point. The strength of your portfolio, people skills and marketing skills are more important than the camera you carry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:15 am 

What PhotoJ said, plus I'll add a lot of wedding photographers use a 40D, and the camera really doesn't matter, and typically clients wont notice the difference between a 450D and a 40D, the only thing is, the 40D with grip or alone will look more pro than the 450D (even with a grip) The camera doesn't make a huge difference in terms of quality, but you don't want to show up at a photoshoot, or wedding with a Canon G9, (unless it extra, and your assistant is filming you with it, so you can put videos on youtube)

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:29 am 
Marketing over all, is what sells.

But as jake says, the look of the camera and the professionalism that you and the camera reflect are really important for the client, the grip in the 40D makes it look sexier, and if u add a 580EXII you got a nice looking outfit :D

Of course in 90 of location shots you may not need the flash, and maybe you dont like the grip, but they make you look more pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:05 pm 
thanks guys, i looked up the exif data on some of my sisters weding photos and the were shot with a canon 350D! i really want to try and shoot some wedings. recently i took pictures of my boss's kids at the park and he has like twenty prints around the house! and i have had several co-workers offer to pay me to take pictures of their kids now but i would feel bad to charge because of what little experiance i have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:08 pm 
Two days ago I went to a wedding with my Dad (he's a classical tenor and often sings at weddings) and the photographer had two 40Ds with battery grips. So yeah semi-pros are often used by pros. :)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:58 pm 
well school started and i'm an intern for a photographer! his site is

backwhenphoto.com

EDIT:I dont work for ^ anymore new internship is later in the thread
he said he's rebuilding the site soon so if it doesn't work thats why. anyway he's shooting a 40D as well so this should be lots of fun i can't wait!

Last edited by Tomis on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:40 am 
Tomis wrote:
well school started and i'm an intern for a photographer!

May I ask how you got your internship and what sort of stuff are you doing for the photographer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:04 am 
IanDM wrote:
Tomis wrote:
well school started and i'm an intern for a photographer!

May I ask how you got your internship and what sort of stuff are you doing for the photographer?

i went in for registration i asked if i could still do an internship. they said yes and asked if i had any idea of what i was interested in. i said photography she said they had a photographer come in the day before asking for an intern. she said i could just do it with him or approach someone else i had in mind so i went with him.

i think you have to be atleast a junior or senior to do it. if no photographers ask the school for one or you can ask any photographer you want to

but it maybe diff in kansas

as his intern i will do everything he does and we both shoot canon so i get to use all his lenses and flash and what not. smaller shoots i wil be helping with lighting and positioning people around. things such as weddings i will be doing alot of my own shooting and also helping with lighting, and we get to shoot some sporting events which i will be just shooting base ball basket ball golf and a whole lot more and help photoshop pics and take orders of prints and a lot more i'm sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:45 am 
Thanks. I'm going to try maybe stopping by some studios around my city and see if they might want an intern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:34 pm 
change of plans turns out my school wont let me do the internship with him because his studio is in his garage and i guess its against code or something silly so i had to find a new photographer his name is Roy Pryor here's his site:

roypryor.com

i went to his studio after school today he showed me some of his gear i was in heaven! he has a canon 1Ds mk II and a Canon 1D mk II which i have never seen upclose in person. wasnt expecting them to be so huge! hes a nice guy tell me what you think of his site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:01 pm 
Good for you with the internship. Learning off the more experienced is definitely a recommendation of mine, and you may realise first hand that it's a harder job than many think it is. I don't personally do enough photographic work to be able to take interns, though I don't mind teaching every now and then.

Having had a look at his site, I have reservations over his use of flash indoors, though I may be wrong. Otherwise he seems an accomplished photographer. I hope you learn some wise pearls of wisdom and put them into practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:16 pm 
Going to shoot my first wedding this weekend pretty excited! i'll post some pics asap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:25 am 
I hope you enjoy the experience and that your mentor guides you through. If you want further preparation, then I've made an entry in my blog regarding wedding photography a while back (see here). Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:59 am 
Thanks for the guide Ed! Very thorough. I think i'm going to write down ISO on my hand so i dont forget!