Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:06 pm 
Hiya,

I've been looking to buy a digital compact camera for aaaages to replace my 5 year old, still functional but slightly aging and very chunky fuji f700. I like everything about the f700 aside from the fact its size, and I think its also about time I got a bit more up-to-date with camera technology.

I'm not a supertalented photographer, but the f700 did introduce me to using manual controls, which I have experimented with, and now would be sad to part with. Thankfully after a lot of simple compacts, I've noticed a few compacts emerging recently that offer manual, aperture and shutter priority modes, and the two that have caught my eye and narrowed down to my shortlist are the Fuji F50fd and Panasonic's new FX500.

I've read reviews and compared galleries and am pulled between the two. The Panasonic is drawing me in for its wide angle potential for more creative shots, but fuji familiarity is making me unsure.

Ignoring the price difference (I wouldn't mind spending more for a decent piece of equipment) which camera would you guys out there recommend?

Does either win over for ease of use, image quality/colour, new features?
I initially thought fuji colours were sharper/brighter, but some reviews with the Panasonic have shown otherwise. Is image noise an issue for prints no bigger than 10 by 8?

I've been pondering for months now and would really like to buy a camera and nail this on the head! Any advice would be much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:05 pm 
The better wider zoom end of the FX500 is nice but it is more expensive, most likely because of the touch screen. Which is perhaps more a gadget than a real asset.

I assume you are aware that these cameras both no longer have a viewfinder? If you didn't use the VF on your Fuji that won't be an issue. But if you did you should be aware of it.

Also this thread may be of interest.

And have you used the features search and side-by-side features at dpreview? Not perfect but still very convenient for this purpose.

The Nikon P50 also has a wider zoom. But a bit less range than the FX500. It does have a VF though.

Success.

Ben