Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: AlienBees Ringflash
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:49 am 

I know this sounds weird asking here, but does anyone have the ABR800? I've been really interested in it. I know I'm not going ot be getting it soon, but I'm looking into it for a little home studio in a few years so I don't have to worry much about a part time job.

How's it handle? Is it heavy on an entry-level camera? All that good stuff! I want to know!! :D

I know for sure it won't work on my camera without an adapter but I think continuous would be fine with me, and plus, I want an adapter anyway so I'll be able to work it.

Post subject: Re: AlienBees Ringflash
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:58 pm 

ChickenFriedRyce wrote:
I know this sounds weird asking here, but does anyone have the ABR800? I've been really interested in it. I know I'm not going ot be getting it soon, but I'm looking into it for a little home studio in a few years so I don't have to worry much about a part time job.

How's it handle? Is it heavy on an entry-level camera? All that good stuff! I want to know!! :D

I know for sure it won't work on my camera without an adapter but I think continuous would be fine with me, and plus, I want an adapter anyway so I'll be able to work it.

What do you mean by 'Continuous is fine for me'? If you mean the modeling lights im the flash that run on AC power, you're completely wrong, let me explain why. They are 10 Watt Hour lights and there's eight of them. 10W/H=0.16Watts/Second*8=1.33Watts/Second with all your modeling lights, but you figure the flash tubes (2 of them) are 320Watt Seconds Combined.

Whats that mean, it means that using a flash is a lot brighter than continuous lights, and for continuous lights you will need a VERY slow shutter speed, and if its below about 1/30 (I bet it will be) than thats enough to have the person move and create blurring.

I don't believe the A200 has a PC sync port, and you need one for the ABR800, fortunately they sell Hot Shoe to PC sync adapters, here's one made by Nikon it just slips on the hot shoe and has a PC sync port on it.

I don't think it would be to heavy, to be honest with you 2.5lbs isn't really a lot and it has a tripod mount on it, so I think it would be a great purchase.

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:45 pm 

Thanks for the info. Opened my eyes about the modeling lamps. Thought it was bright enough but I guess I was wrong. And I already knew about the adapter, but I will have to purchase one relative to the Minolta mount (which I can find on eBay quite easily).

Another question: With the PC Sync adapter, is there any difference in performance than a camera with a port? And what about sync speeds? is that all taken care of by the flash?

Thanks Jake for the info already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:28 pm 

Hi CFR

The PC Sync works just fine, you won't notice any difference or lag or something else.

About the sync speed it depends on your camera. It usually goes from 1/125 - 1/250 depending on the camera...

Cheers

Carlos - Caracas Venezuela
EOS 40D
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD/50mm f1.8II

my flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:25 am 

Thanks Camut!

Mine is 1/160 then.

Thanks again for the help!