Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:36 pm 

Greetings fellow "Camels".

I'm in the market for a new printer. I currently have a 5 year old Canon i550 and it's just about given up the ghost. Prints come out terrible now. Text is OK but photos are horrible.

I originally wanted to get an A3 printer but I find the cost of ink refills too high. Plus, it would be nice to be able to scan things in, which is possible with some modern A4 printers.

My biggest problem though is that I'm a cynical old fa*t. I can't really see how a printer which is also a scanner and copier can possibly be as good at printing as a dedicated printer alone. Jack of all trades, master of none springs to mind.

So with a budget of £200 at the max what would you guys suggest? So far the best rated printer seems to be the Epson Stylus Photo RX640 at exactly £200. It sounds as though it's the answer to my prayers (I especially like how it will enable me to put my old negatives onto the pc) but is it? Will it be any better than the printer I already have was (when it worked properly)?

Thing is, these printers all seem to come laden with "features" I know I'll never use. Pictbridge anyone? 3" LCD screen? I don't need any of that stuff but it seems there's little choice but to have it.

Finally, should I maybe just take the plunge and buy an A3 printer instead? It would be nice to have A3 prints of some of my photos to frame and hang on the wall.

Anyway, here's the link to the Epson. See what you folks think.

http://www.epson.co.uk/printers/claria_ ... rinter.htm

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject: RX640
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:51 pm 

Hi zorro,

Memory tells me that Epson photo printers often do well in reviews. As I am sure you are aware, one of the nice things about the UK computer scene is that we still have plenty of magazines who review such kit.

Please don't pay £200 for it though! A quick search on the net and I have already found it for £158.52 incl. VAT from a large online retailer. Mind you, you might do well to use the money saved towards some larger capacity ink cartridges than those usually supplied with new inkjets.

Just to confuse the issue, you can pick up the PC Pro Labs (2004) winning Epson Stylus Photo R800 Printer for £218 including delivery from another of the large UK online retailers if you want to eschew the "All-In-One" bits. Read their review here.

Bob.

P.S. Have you noticed that the Epson page you linked to has a disclaimer that "the RX640 does not use the Claria ink system" despite the fact that it is listed under the Claria printers page on their site?

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:45 pm 

Hi Bob, that was quick. I had noticed the Claria disclaimer, very odd. I had also read good things regarding the R800 but it isn't on Epson's site (or I'm blind). I'm concerned it might be about to be superceded by something with more lights, lol. What do you think? Actually, what, if anything, do you use?

Zorro.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:12 pm 

Hi zorro,

The R800 is on Epson's site at http://www.epson.co.uk/printers/ultrachrome_professional_printers/Epson_Stylus_Photo_R800_printer.htm.

I am sure there will be new models but that is the classic trap of today's consumer society. That said, Epson is still producing the R800 as far as I can see while the PC Pro Labs Winner a year or two later (an HP printer) is apparently no longer in production. Maybe Epson are of the opinion that the R800 ain't broke so doesn't need fixing!

I hardly ever print photographs these days but if needed I use my HP PSC 2210 all-in-one. The R800 does look attractive but
    1/ I have nowhere to put it
    2/ I would use it so seldom the print heads would always be clogging up
    3/ It is probably more cost effective with my small volume to use a bureau - hence my thread

I'll be interested to hear what you choose and, if you have time, to read your User Review.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:17 pm 

Hey Zorro, buy a Din A3+ printer!
With your pics and the quality of your D80, you deserve it.
Good ones can be had at around 500EUR (see my signature).
You will love it!
Din A4 is too small (for you anyway!)!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:55 pm 

First off Bob, yes, I am aware of your thread. Unfortunately I have nothing to contribute to it. I've even got in touch with some local photographers to find out if there's anyone locally who does quality printing. There isn't. In fact it seems, from my admittedly scant research, that nobody prints these days. I know the feeling, lol.

I just feel I'm missing out when I view pictures on my monitor. My wife, a self-confessed technophobe, longs for the day when we get the shoe-boxes out to look at memories. I feel for her.

Thomas, of course you're right. I'd love an A3 printer. They're even available for a surprisingly low cost. Surprising that is until you count the cost of a full refill. I just don't think I can justify it.

That picture I showed you all, Afro-Celt, I'd love to see that on the wall. Big! So maybe I should be in the other thread, looking for an online printer who does quality.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:03 pm 

In use a DIN A3+ printer does not cost more than a DIN A4 printer (if you print DIN A4 in it). As to expected costs see may thread here: http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=356
That's cheaper than printing at a shop (at least in Germany!)!!
Plus you have total control of the outcome :shock: :idea: :!:

Post subject: Compromise solution
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:05 pm 

Hi zorro,

I think you were on the right track with your initial post. Why not buy an Epson Stylus Photo RX640 (or equivalent and so stay in budget) to service your home office and the wife's shoebox and use a bureau with a "professional" option (they are out there) for those special prints?

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:08 pm 

Hi Bob!

Tell me what a professional print costs for A3 in the UK?

Post subject: A3 Print costs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:23 pm 

Thomas wrote:
Tell me what a professional print costs for A3 in the UK?

One example: True photographic prints onto Fujicolour Professional TYPE DP2 (Digital) chemical paper - A3 costs £4/€6/$8 per print for 1 to 3 prints (£3 for 4 or more).

It all depends on volume really. How many A3 prints does zorro want to make? If the answer is only a handful per year then a bureau might be the better option, especially with his initial budget of £200/€300/$400.

I fully accept that for those who regularly print at A3 the ability to do so at home is important, both to reduce costs and gain extra control. For the rest of us the decision isn't so easy.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 pm 

I'm doing calenders for the family (=3x) and books of trips or themes.
So I'll end up at around 80-100 A3 prints per year at 2.50 EUR per print.

So my choice is pretty clear, isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:08 pm 

We want LINKS! We want LINKS! We want LINKS! :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :wink:

Post subject: Clarity
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:12 pm 

Thomas wrote:
So my choice is pretty clear, isn't it?

Your choice is absolutely clear, but isn't this about zorro's needs?

zorro wrote:
I originally wanted to get an A3 printer but I find the cost of ink refills too high. Plus, it would be nice to be able to scan things in, which is possible with some modern A4 printers
So with a budget of £200 at the max what would you guys suggest? So far the best rated printer seems to be the Epson Stylus Photo RX640 at exactly £200. It sounds as though it's the answer to my prayers

I hope that this discussion has at least helped bring some of the issues into focus.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:00 am 
Hi Zorro,
Have you decided on which printer to get? I've never looked into A3 printers before, but the thought of being able to print my own pics bigger than A4 and to make calendars to hang on the wall and send to people sounds very tempting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:16 am 

I haven't decided what to buy yet but I'm liking Bob's rationale. I can't afford to buy the ink for an A£ printer so I'm going with the idea of a good A4 printer that does it all and finding a good online lab for occasional treats for friends and family.

Zorro.