Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hello there,

Just a quick note to say our full review of the Panasonic Lumix L1 digital SLR has been posted. You can find it, and our video tour here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/PanasonicL1/

Gordon

Post subject: Choices
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:06 pm 

Hi Gordon,

Any thoughts about the Panasonic Lumix L1 as compared to the Leica Digilux 3?

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bob, that's a good question and one I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer for at the moment.

I believe they're the same apart from some different image processing - so in theory if you're comparing RAW files, they could be identical. Similarly for the Leica version of the FZ50.

I'm just speculating though, so will see what I can find out. If I find a definitive answer, I'll update the review.

Gordon

Post subject: panasonic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:59 pm 
Hello,

I love the look of the L1, but it comes at quite a hefty price. I was wondering what your opinion in on L1 v.s the 30D (as it seems to be the standard at the price point) Does the L1 represent good value v.s a 30d with a IS lense? or the Nikon d200 with an Is lense?. Im new to SLRs, but dont want to buy something flimsy that will need replacing in a few years, and as such am looking a the magnesium bodied cameras. I can strech my budget to the L1 but am worried that as it is panasonics first forey into SLRs they might bring out a new version in 12months time with all the bugs ironed out, where as with a Cannon all the technology is well proven and tested.

Also is the L1s dim view finder as bad as some reviews have said??

any ideas????

Think the website is great by the way, really found the video reviews helpful and have been clicking on all the adverts i can find.

cheers

ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ben, welcome to the forums and thanks for your support.

The 30D with the EF-S 17-55mm f2.7 is probably the closest match to the L1 and I discussed this combo in another thread which you might find useful here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=115

The L1's viewfinder is much smaller and dimmer, but it does have the Live View, so it depends how much you think you'd use that. If you won't use Live View, I think the 30D with the 17-55 would be a more flexible product, but it really also depends on which you prefer the look and feel of. Panasonic will bring out new DSLRs in 2007, but they're likely to be cheaper, more conventionally-styled ones.

Gordon

Post subject: L1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:15 pm 
cheers Gordon,

I guess i need to find a shop that has them both in stock, any one know of any good shops which stock the L1 nr Milton Keynes, or failing that in London.

thanks again,

ben