Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Which compact camera?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:54 pm 
I'm looking to upgrade my digital camera and have it narrowed down to a few choices, but it seems each of these has something unique to offer. Can anyone who has used one or more of these give a general recommendation? Thanks for the help.

Canon Powershot A640
Canon Powershot SD800IS
Canon Powershot SD1000
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3
Sony DSC-N2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi anteis24, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

You'll need to tell us what kind of photography you're into, or what features you really like on a camera - for example, a flip out screen, a big screen, or a wide angle lens...

Of your list, I think the Panasonic TZ3 is the strongest.

See: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/PanasonicTZ3/

Also check out out compact cameras buyers guide here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... mera.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:22 pm 
Hi, Gordon. I'm pretty much a beginner and wouldn't take much advantage of manual settings or do any photo editting. I wouldn't make big prints either, just view pictures on a computer. I think all the features that make these cameras stand out (such as the vari-angle lens, 10x zoom or lcd touchscreen) are "luxury" features that are nice to have, but I don't really prefer one over another. I don't take pictures of anything in particular, so I guess I'm looking for a recommendation based on general picture quality, ease of use and overall preference.

And thanks for the informative reviews, I saw them previously and they helped me narrow down my choice to these 5 cameras. Have you had any hands-on testing with the Canon SD1000 / SD800IS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Fraid I've not tested that one, so can't comment...

If you're not bothered about manual control or a flip out screen, I'd definitely strongly consider the TZ3...

Gordon

Post subject: Panasonic TZ3
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:21 am 
Hi for what its worth I would definately recommend the TZ3, I spent many hours on the Camera Labs TZ3 test page and takeing Gordon's advice went for the Panasonic. Having upgraded from a Finepix F401 I found the TZ3 so much more fun to work with, and although it has virtually no manual controls you can, by switching around and using the camera's presets, take some great pictures. I am using JASC Paint Shop Pro 9 as well and between the two am getting some excellent results. For the beginner the TZ3 is simple enough to point and shoot, yet has sufficient additions to enable you to go that little bit further when you are more confident. OK it is not as good as a full blown manually controlled DSLR but for a couple of hundred quid its certainly a good way there. Considering I paid over £300 for the Finepix 3 or more years ago, its amazing what improvements have been made for less money!

If you want my advice dont delay go for the Panasonic TZ3...BTW the black finish also looks cool.... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi Vic.T, how about doing a report on the TZ3 for our User Reviews section?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:57 am 
Thanks again for the replies. I actually ordered a TZ3 (black) online just yesterday. The choice came down to the TZ3 and another camera that actually wasn't listed above, the F31fd. While the Fuji might give slightly better IQ and high-ISO capability, I think in the end the TZ3 would just be a lot more fun to use given its capabilities. Hope I made the right call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:30 am 
Site Admin

Hi anteis24, I think you made a great choice - the TZ3 is a wonderful camera - especially if you can keep it at lower sensitivities...

As for the F31fd, it's basically the F30 with face detection. You'll see the F30 is also in our Buyers Guide.

Gordon