Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:35 pm 
I picked up a nikon 18-200m for a local photoshop. upon further inspection of the lens, there is loads of dust caught in multiple elements and a bunch of scratches and/or dust on one of the elements.

I bought it like this, i don't even have a body for it yet!!!! Thoughts? The surface of the lens is perfectly clean all of the dust is inside the lens. Here are some pictures! Any ideas??????!!!!!!!!!!

http://images114.fotki.com/v970/fileMEJ ... lights.jpg

http://images25.fotki.com/v950/fileC2gC ... re1618.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:53 pm 

I'll send it to service, and you'll get the lens back as good as new.
Not sure whether the dust inside even can be seen on photos you take...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:01 pm 
Service? I'm not sure what you mean. Regardless your help is appreciated to the n^th degree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:06 pm 

Service=Nikon Service!
They can do wonders, and as long as the lens is under guaranty....
Or give it back to the shop. What did you pay for this lens?

Last edited by Thomas on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:11 pm 
If it is a new lens -----take it back, it is clearly sub standard, if it is secondhand, why did you buy it in that condition ?

Post subject: Fit for purpose
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:11 pm 

Here in the UK if the lens was sold as new then your first step would be to return to the shop and demand a replacement or a refund. Even if the lens was not sold as new you may have recourse under the Sale of Goods Act. I am no lawyer but I think that the phrase "fit for purpose" applies in that you have bought a premium lens which will not perform to the expected standard.

As Thomas says, Nikon's service department should be able to bring the lens back to good as new condition provided the glass isn't scratched but that involves you in extra expense. If the options in the previous paragraph don't apply in your country then you may still be able to get your local photo shop to pay for all or part of the cost of repair as an act of goodwill.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:05 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
Service=Nikon Service!
They can do wonders, and as long as the lens is under guaranty....
Or give it back to the shop. What did you pay for this lens?

the lens is brand new, 5 year warranty from Nikon, 899.99 CAD. can you explain their service?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:08 pm 

If it's brand new just bring it back to the dealer!
Nikon surely has some service in Canada, looky here:
http://help.nikon.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:27 pm 

In Canada you have a minimum of I think 14 days to return it to the shop. You're eligible for a full refund unless it was a special order in which case you are entitled to a brand new replacement. Know your rights.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject: Done and dusted
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:04 pm 

The links in the original post are broken so do we assume you got your duster out?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:35 am 
hello everyone, so i took the lens to another camera dealer for some straight answers. They said there was A LOT of dust inside on all the elements just as i had seen, no surprise. Then i found out that there was a huge manufacturing defect on one of the elements which i had mistaken for dust. It is very interesting that the dealer was able to get this lens in so easily. So i took it back and explained the situation and he "appeared" to look surprised, whatever. He said he'd see if he could get another one in a couple of days, i don't see how thats possible considering the scarcity of the lens. Even if he did get one, i would be highly suspicious. How do i know if something is a Grey Market product? As is looks right now, i think I'm going to have to come up with an alternative lens system, seeing as how I'm leaving for my trip in 2 weeks.

thanks for the help everybody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:15 pm 
nmac wrote:
How do i know if something is a Grey Market product?

I'm not sure about how Nikon do it over there, but here in Australia they are more than willing to track a lens by its serial number, one phone call and a quote of the serial number and they tell you INSTANTLY if it was imported by Nikon Australia or by the "grey" market, perhaps a call to the tech support dept. there might help nmac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:27 pm 

Well, at least in Europe the lens is no longer in scarce supply, so ther is a good chance that your dealer delivers on his promise.