Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:12 pm 

It is very interesting. This means that when I post images on this site you might not be seeing what I'm seeing. And how would we know? Hmmm...

I've not read your link yet but I will later, this has me intrigued. I'm currently looking for a new printer because the old one's finally given up the ghost so this is going to be especially relevant to me.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:44 pm 

Just to increase my worry I'm slowly realizing that none of the photos I post are optimized for the web. Therefore they are all looking a bit flat! I've read that article and I do see where they're coming from and although I picked the "best quality" option it's actually detrimental to the quality of the output that the viewer gets on the web. Does this mean then that if say, I put an image on a gallery people are seeing a "flatter" version and if they opt to download the image they'll get the intended colourspace or an sRGB version?

Can you hear my head spinning? :roll:

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:43 pm 
I have no idea. The more i read about this, the more questions it brings up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:56 pm 
http://community.dcmag.co.uk/forums/thread/517090.aspx

More answers... RAW is independent of colour space! When you come to export to jpeg/tiff you can choose the colour space based on what you want to do with the image. As with WB etc, the colour space you set in-camera makes no difference to the RAW file. It's only relevant if you've set your camera to shoot in Jpeg mode. This means that for yourself and Tom, the colour space you're choosing in the camera is actually doing nothing since you both shoot in RAW. It's down to the software that you're both using to convert to Jpeg.

Also, if you upload a jpeg that's encoded for Adobe RGB, although the browser will display it in sRGB, I believe the colour space in the actual file remains intact since the browser doesn't actually edit the file. Someone downloading the file will get it with the colour space that you originally set.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:15 pm 
Sorry for the continuous posts...

Zorro, after checking your images on Flickr, the properties say that the images are in sRGB. Do you know if the software you're using is set to export to Jpegs as Adobe RGB? If it is then Flickr's obviously changing it on upload. Either way, we know that when looking at Flickr, both you and I are looking at the same colour-spaced image. On your PC, if you compare one of your uploaded images on Flickr with the same image in your software, do you notice a difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:13 pm 

TelexStar wrote:
when looking at Flickr, both you and I are looking at the same colour-spaced image

That's important: Zorro, when you check your links and posts in your browser you see what everybody else sees. So there is direct control for you. If you're disappointed vs the colors you see when opening the pic in your favorite SW then it's time to act, otherwise no need to do anything.
----------
b.t.w.: I try to save post-processed pics without color-profile so as to minimize any risks and side-effects...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:22 pm 

tombomba2 wrote:
TelexStar wrote:
when looking at Flickr, both you and I are looking at the same colour-spaced image

That's important: Zorro, when you check your links and posts in your browser you see what everybody else sees. So there is direct control for you. If you're disappointed vs the colors you see when opening the pic in your favorite SW then it's time to act, otherwise no need to do anything.
----------
b.t.w.: I try to save post-processed pics without color-profile so as to minimize any risks and side-effects...

I'm always disappointed :shock: :cry:

I've just been out with the wife & dog and set the camera for RGB III so we'll see. I'll post something in a bit. Fingers crossed.

Zorro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:30 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:

That's impossible though isn't it? When you export to jpeg or tiff the image *has* to fit in one colour space or another.

Btw, a colour space is different from an ICC colour profile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:35 pm 

Yeah, but then the jpeg looks in photo-SW the same as in my browser, as in your browser, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:20 am 
That will be sRGB then.

I tried exporting a RAW image as sRGB and aRGB and I couldn't tell *any* difference whatsoever. Maybe I was doing something wrong or I'm not understanding this correctly.

More testing required I think. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:56 pm 

CaptureNX lets you save as jpeg with or w/o color-profile.
So there certainly will be differences if some SW interprets a saved color-profile and other SW doesn't. So I save without.
Naturely when saving/converting a RAW as jpeg the transformation into one color space is done. But as I said, wihtout a color-profile to interpret the pic it should look the same on all computers (not taking into account the different monitor settings etc.)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:58 pm 

Juts in case you missed my reply on another post, Zorro!
Buy a DIN A3+ printer for your pleasure. Your pics are worth it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:46 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
CaptureNX lets you save as jpeg with or w/o color-profile.
So there certainly will be differences if some SW interprets a saved color-profile and other SW doesn't. So I save without.

I'm fairly sure you're talking about something different. A colour profile is different from a colour space. It's possible to save a jpeg without a standardised ICC colour profile but a Jpeg *has* to use a colour space, otherwise the file isn't a Jpeg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:53 pm 

I agree with you , see here:
tombomba2 wrote:
Naturely when saving/converting a RAW as jpeg the transformation into one color space is done

With CaptureNX you save the jpeg converted into a color space and can deliver it with a color profile included. That might be confusing, but both color-thingies are merged together here for a greater good :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:27 am 
I see. so if you make sure no profile is saved with the jpeg it will look the same on all machines? I'm assuming this doesn't apply if you've applied a profile to your viewing display?

(Can you see my head imploding with all this info..? :D )