Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:30 am 

yeah synch, post it here, right under my post...it would be an honor to view it here, I can't wait to see it...I had one too, that was two days late, but that is how it goes...if it has ducks, you know where to put it...but something tells me, that this is going to be spectacular...

waitin for ya.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:32 am 
I just picked up my first film camera last week (yes, i'm a product of the digital age) to go along with my D80. Are we allowed to post scanned film images, or do they need to be strictly digital?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:49 am 

thestig2010 wrote:
Are we allowed to post scanned film images, or do they need to be strictly digital?

I can't think of any good reason why you shouldn't be able to enter scanned film images in this month's On Assigment. Some people might still work with a film camera and no DSLR (yet) and they would not be allowed to enter the On Assigment? :?

Just got my entry in:

Read more about it in my original post.

I was wondering whether I should enter the image above or the image below, since both image fit the theme. The image below gives even more meaning to the theme, because it was taken with minimal exposure: 1/8000 sec. and F29 (ISO 100).

The post processing on the photo with the flash is also minimal, it was only cropped. I decided to go for the golfball image because it appealed more to me and was more abstract, which I think minimalism is.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:44 pm 

I like your picture Orsan, nice work.
You broke the rules though, it's wider than 500 pixels :oops: .

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:49 pm 
I especially liked the selective coloured portrait and the dog tag pic! Also think the golf ball and the pole&tree ones are nice!

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:00 pm 

Bjorn van Sinttruije wrote:
I like your picture Orsan, nice work.
You broke the rules though, it's wider than 500 pixels :oops: .

- Bjorn -

that should be it now, sory about that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:18 pm 
patti wrote:
yeah synch, post it here, right under my post...it would be an honor to view it here, I can't wait to see it...I had one too, that was two days late, but that is how it goes...if it has ducks, you know where to put it...but something tells me, that this is going to be spectacular...

waitin for ya.

patti

Spectacular? Now I'm nervous because there are expectations. Honestly though, I don't think it's very spectacular, it's just a simple shot of a butterfly, but the lighting serves to highlight it and I kinda felt like it had a minimalist sort of feel to it.

However, I will shoot something this month for the assignment that will be my actual entry. Here's the butterfly shot if you are curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:27 pm 
I intended to put this one up, but seeing that a very similar (only better) entry right before posting, I went forward with the 'lone bird'.

The sky looks all crappy due to extreme color de-correction (lol), but I just love to play around with color control points on CaptureNX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:29 am 

synch...I love the butterfly...just think it is super, you are right, it does have a minimalist feel to it. I even posted one, this month, and took a different angle then most...am happy to participate...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:01 pm 

there's some great submissions already, but i think a lot of us have different understanding of what minimalist actually means. A few so far have to much detail taking them outside the barrier of minimal.Just a thought.

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:21 pm 

So what is the definition of minimalism in the context of this test?

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:07 pm 

Nice photo you got there zorro.

But may I ask how you made that soft "haze" appearance on the flowers? Was that in post-processing or did you wipe some vaseline on the lens or something? I'd love to re-create that effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:11 pm 

I decided to use a literal interpretation...which is different, I know. Not meaning to ruffle any feathers. Just having a great time at the labs.
You can feel free to delete my entry, if you feel it is not within the accepted interpretation of the word. I give you absolute powwwwwwah....

Won't be the first time I am outta line, and my guess, is, it won't be the last, either.

quack on.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:06 pm 

Thanks Thomas, glad you like it. The "haze" effect is achieved in PP only. No vaseline here my friend, heh. I got this great program for Photoshop called Nik Colo(u)r Efex Pro 3.0 and it's absolutely wonderful. There's a demo available and the homepage is linked to below. It's made by the same company responsible for Capture NX and so utilizes the Control Point technology. The difference here being it's contained within a suite of effects that are second to none. The fact that this all works within the tried & tested Photoshop environment is all to the good too. Why not give it a try and see what you think.

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:55 pm 

On whether a picture is adequately "minimalist" or not, I hope that will come out in the voting. When I vote, I not only judge the submission on if I like it or not, but also on how well it fits in with the month's theme. I hope I'm not the only one who does that.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next