Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:07 am 
I work at a Ritz location, which doesn't sell Kodak cameras because we spent more time/money repairing them than selling them. Today, a trio of ignorant camera shoppers came into the shop demanding to see the "EasyShare camera that is 10mp, has image stabilization, shoots HD Video, and is under $200."

I told them we didnt sell Kodak products, and a camera with those specifications sounded a bit of a scam. They gave me a scornful look and took off out of the store.

How mistaken I was!! I found a new product on the Kodak website, te EasyShare M1033. Here are a few specs:

* 10 megapixel
* 3x optical zoom
* 3 inch LCD
* HD picture capture
* ISO 64 - 3200

(http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier. ... cale=en_US)

Now, this sounds a bit like the "IMPOSSIBLE CAMERA", as my fellow associates and I call a camera that has a ton of features in a very inexpensive package.

Is this camera too good to be true, for a P/S? There must be some catch, and I can't find too many decent reviews to come to a conclusion.

Anybody got some feedback? THANKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:07 pm 
Im not sure whats the Great deal.

10mpx becoming the market standar, 7 are 8 are the cheapest and closest rivals.
3x optical zoom, standard too, 5x seen on premium cameras
3 inch lcd, the catch 230k
HD video, 720p, much compacts are really close to that line
ISO 64-3200, well high iso's are useless in compacts

I havent tried it, but it seems like the average consumer camera, plus as you say some consumer kodaks have lame quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:05 am 
Seems like a nice camera but it's nothing extraordinary nowadays. Also, it doesn't have anti-shake which is fast becoming a standard feature in all but entry level models.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:13 pm 

I think it'll be pretty horrible. I tried to do some math earlier, I shot my uncle who knows a lot more about the workings of cameras than me and email, he said I was all wrong, and pointed me to a sensor sizing chart over at DP review. here comes the mathy mumbo jumbo:

The Sensor of the New kodak here the M1033 is 7.7x6.16mm giving a total Surface Area(SA) of 46.432mm^2

10,000000p/46.432mm= 215368.8pixles/mm

Compared to an APS-C sized sensor (23.7x15.7 SA=372.09mm^2)

10,000000p/372.09= 26875.2pixles/mm

Which now that i do all the math and stuff, looks like a bunch of giberish, but the point here is, having such a pixel density (lots of pixels/mm) will produce low quality images because the pixels are so much smaller, and the images will be noisier. a 1/2.3 inch sensor @10mp not such a good thing.

Thats my two sense, but I do like kodaks, I used to have a $130 Kodak ES C130 (4mp) and it out preformed my 6mp $300 Fuji FP s6000fd(6500fd).

Jake

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:39 pm 
JakeOConnell wrote:
I shot my uncle who knows a lot more about the workings of cameras than me and email, he said I was all wrong,

Hah! That'll teach him not to disagree with you. :D

Ben