Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:48 am 
Money available: $1000 - 1500 (approximately 492 - 731.89 pounds)

If you were to spend this amount kindly ask yourself:

Which Camera Should I get and Why Would I get it and which do "I believe and feel" delivers the best image using the standard kit lenses that it comes with each cameras respectively.

But There Are Two Rules Prior to Answering This Question and they are as follows:

1. I want your personal opinion: I'm asking you kindly not to base your answers from the reviews that was legitimately and unbiasedly done on all three cameras (D80, Xti, and the 30D).

2. What I'm yearning for is your honest answer based on your experience with these cameras.

All your personal answers will be greatly respected and appreciated.

Believe me, I have read Cameralabs reviews several times now and I'm still undecided. And what makes it worse is... there's a rumor that the Canon 40D is coming out in October of 2007.

P.s. to answer my own question:
Here's my opinion
I have tried and played with the Canon Xti, Canon 30D and the Nikon D80. For me, I believe the Nikon D80 compared to the Xti and to a more expensive 30D produced the best quality, most vivid, and had the sharpest image. I did not actually print the shots. But I just looked at it through the LCDs. By the way, the salesman had the cameras on all the same settings.

My last question:
Was my conclusion right... that the D80 had the best image or was it just my imagination?

Last edited by coolnovemberrain2000 on Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:59 am 

Hello coolnovemberrain2000, and welcome to the Camera Labs forum!

You've certainly also read the major threads here in this forum, so you know that there are a many happy owners of each of these cams. That should make your life easier, not harder, as at the end of the day differences are not sooo big.
As you asked for the personal opinion/experience, I have to say of these cameras I know only one from own experience: the D80. But I don't even own one of the standard the kit lenses. And I would say, as I've come to love image stabilization, if you can stretch your budget just a little further go for the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. It's incredible fun and quality. I can attest to that. Others here are very happy with the kit lens plus 55-200 VR combo.

As to printing: I print DIN A3 (30x42) calenders and books and am very happy with the results.

Post subject: Personal experience
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:26 am 

Thomas wrote:
I know only one from own experience

That hits the nail right on the head. Buying just one camera and a few lenses is expensive enough and I doubt if any of us are lucky enough to own two or more comparable cameras from different manufacturers.

Thus, apart from a brief fondle in the shop of the different short-listed models, we all (reviewers excepted) are likely to be a little ( :!: ) biased in our views as expressed on the forum.

I guess we all try to be fair but when reading other peoples posts it is sometimes useful to glance at their profile information to know where they are coming from.

coolnovemberrain2000 wrote:
there's a rumor that the Canon 40D is coming out in October of 2007

I thought it was September 26th. :lol:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:32 am 
you guys are avoiding my questions...
:lol:

So which one would you buy???
Please refer back to my question!!! hehehehe

Post subject: Answer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:40 am 

coolnovemberrain2000 wrote:
Which Camera Should I get and Why Would I get it

Answer: Nikon D80.

Why: Because you like it. There isn't going to be a huge difference in print quality between any of the cameras at any particular price point. If there were the manufacturer concerned would soon be out of business or introducing a new model!

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are of a personal nature and are not to be used to guide your buying decision. Remember, the price of shares can fall as well as rise.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:43 am 
Mr. Bob... not to argue with you... But I didn't say I like the Nikon D80. :oops:

I wrote: see the question below:

P.s. to answer my own question:
Here's my opinion
I have tried and played with the Canon Xti, Canon 30D and the Nikon D80. For me, I believe the Nikon D80 compared to the Xti and to a more expensive 30D produced the best quality, most vivid, and had the sharpest image. I did not actually print the shots. But I just looked at it through the LCDs. By the way, the salesman had the cameras on all the same settings.

My last question: Was my conclusion right... that the D80 had the best image or was it just my imagination?

Post subject: Mr. TomBomba2
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:46 am 
I'm not saying I have decided yet.

But if I were to buy the Nikon D80 would you recommend the 55-200 VR combo for portraits as well? I'll mainly use this camera for my family, vacations, and to our first born baby. (Babies as they say are quite expensive) :D

you wrote:
I can attest to that. Others here are very happy with the kit lens plus 55-200 VR combo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:54 am 

A zoom starting with 55mm (=82mm film equiv) is great for portraits as you're forced to step back a little, which gives the face a natural perspective.
But do get me right: You then need the 18-55mm plus 55-200mm VR instead of the 18-200mm VR :!:
----------------
P.S.:
If you want impartial and knowledgeable advice you have to stick with what Gordon said in his reviews of the respective cams. All the users here are a little bit "one-sighted"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:59 am 
Tombomba2...you wrote:
P.S.:
If you want impartial and knowledgeable advice you have to stick with what Gordon said in his reviews of the respective cams. All the users here are a little bit "one-sighted"

I say: This is exactly what I'm looking for... is all of your opinion.

As I said... let's not or I don't wan'na base my opinions or the opinions of others on Mr. Laing's reviews. I've read it several times... and I still am undecided up to this point.

Honestly, Mr. Laing rocks! I'm thankful that we have someone like him!

Post subject: Apologies
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:09 pm 

My apologies for misunderstanding your thoughts about the D80. As Tom says, we have to rely on people like Gordon to get us started down the right track, both with regard to body and lens system. And as has been said many times, it is really important to choose a camera which you are comfortable with and only you can answer that question.

I'll bow out of this thread now because while I could suggest an XTi or D80 line-up that would fit within budget I only own the XTi and so can't answer within the conditions you set.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:22 pm 

For comparison purposes just looking at the resultant image on the back LCD will prove absolutely zero. I don't know about any of the other cameras but the D80 just displays a JPEG thumbnail. You say the salesman had them all on the same settings. This also probably makes no difference because, assuming you were looking a jpeg,s all manufacturers use different algorithms to produce their results. RAW would be a better test, but not perfect.

I've seen great photos captured on cheap p & s cameras, and I've seen lousy photos taken on EOS 5's.

To be honest, it's a daft question. I'm highly unlikely to say buy the Canon am I? Go to a shop and see which one feels best in your hand. I struggled deciding which one to buy too, until I went to the shop. Then my decision was easy.

Good luck,

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:34 pm 
Zorro
You wrote: To be honest, it's a daft question. I'm highly unlikely to say buy the Canon am I? Go to a shop and see which one feels best in your hand. I struggled deciding which one to buy too, until I went to the shop. Then my decision was easy.

I say: I'm in that stuggling stage right now. Just as you said... you struggled too. I'm pretty sure some of the readers here also have tested other before making their final decision. When you say "see which one feels best in your hand" does this mean I should just base my decision simply because it's good in my hands? So going back to my question... when you tried other cameras.... did you also consider the image quality? Forget the functions of the camera cause in one way or the other they will have or will not have the same controls or functionality. I even said it myself.... the salesman had it all on the same setting. So when you guys bought your camera. Did you guys do the same thing?

I didn't mean to come up with a "daft" question and I know it is a tough one. Again, I'm basing this on all the readers' experiences when they were checking out the cameras.

I'm actually glad that you got what you wanted. If I'm going to spend $1000-$1500 = 400-700 pounds. (If I'll spend this much I bet this wont happen again within the next 3 years) I just wanna make sure I get the best bang for my buck! I hope you understand.

Last edited by coolnovemberrain2000 on Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:49 pm 

I do understand, completely. I'm not rich either, far from it. It's just that I firmly believe that, at any given price point, results from any dSLR will be much the same. Where these cameras are different is in their handling. I'd hesitate to recommend the Canon 400 to someone with big hands, like me. It felt awful in my hands. Of course it's images will be great, at least as good as the competition.

Zorro.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:17 am 
Depending on if you already have like a kit lens or something close.

If so: I would buy a Nikon D80 with a Sigma 10-20mm. I shoot Nikon and would love to have that so I want to spread my joy. I only have a D40 with a flash and some lenses but I am savin up for a D80 or D200 body right now.

If not: I would go with the Nikon D80 with 18-135mm and($20 over the $1500 limit) a SB-600 speedlight.

3rd Option: Mail me the money.haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:57 am 
If I had that money and no investment in lenses I would by a Pentax K10D with the kit lens and start investing my money in old manual focus Pentax Takumar prime lenses :) Image Stabilization, weather seal, great view finder, and a lineup of pure razorsharp primes.

But since you like Nikon and Canon better I would by the whatever felt best in my hand and has the best viewfinder, in the end image quality depends much more on the lens and both brands has great availability in lenses and thats what ultimately matters, the lenses :) I would even consider the Nikon D70 or Canon Rebel XT(350D) if that ment I could get much better lenses. This way I would get better images and better bang for my bucks.

If you have a new family member coming up and you want really great portrait shots then a 50mm prime lens is the only way to go, and it's the most inexpensive lens too. You can get great portraits with zooms but they are no way near what you can get with a prime lens, and it's much faster so you don't need to use flash indoor. I wouldn't like to use flash in the eyes on a baby, and I generally don't like to use flash at family gatherings it's too much attention.

Zoom may seem comfortable but you loose image quality unless you spent twice your budget on a zoom.