Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:08 am 
Site Admin

HNV, it's always good to compare different approaches and hear about different programs - and clearly you've got some great HDR results - but I don't think you can say categorically that one program is better than the other for this kind of work. They are different and yield different results. In the hands of one person, one may be preferred, but someone else might do a great job with the other.

What's important is if you use a tool or technique that few others are mentioning, then yes please, tell us all about it. But don't say it's better for everyone - it's better for you personally.

It may also be a translation thing, but it doesn't come across very well to say your own photos are better than someone elses. I think your HDR images are certainly very good, but equally so are others posted here. So let others judge your images and commend or advise. Doing so will gain respect rather than lose it.

I've also posted this as a reply to your thread for Alex.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:47 am 

Photoj wrote:
... The first has a poor choice of subject, though composition is adequate. The second image has an interesting perspective, but severly ruined by the heavy post-processing. I can't add suggestions to assist the first image, but the second could do with less processing to balance out that dark sky.

Hi Photoj,

Could you please elaborate why, in your opinion, the first has "a poor choice of subject"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:09 pm 
csnaus wrote:
Hi Photoj,

Could you please elaborate why, in your opinion, the first has "a poor choice of subject"?

The composition isn't poor given the subject. It follows the rule of thirds with the position of the lamp and a straightened wall. However the subject is poor for the following reasons:

1) no matter how the image is framed, there's a large gap in foreground interest; at the moment it's filled with just grass.

2) other than the lamp, there isn't a focal point in the distance that we are led to - i.e. no leading lines. The background context for the lamp is therefore not maximised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:19 am 

Photoj wrote:
1) no matter how the image is framed, there's a large gap in foreground interest; at the moment it's filled with just grass.

2) other than the lamp, there isn't a focal point in the distance that we are led to - i.e. no leading lines. The background context for the lamp is therefore not maximised.

Very well explained, thanks. However, I must say that despite all these shortcomings I still enjoy looking at this picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:26 am 
Regarding the first shot,

I think it's a peaceful looking picture. But I agree with Photoj with the composition and meaning of the shot.

But in terms of the reason you made this thread, being a 5 exposure HDR, I think it was great processing. As far as the HDR is concerned, I think you did great and the colors all stand out. Great work.

I also looked at the rest of your HDR shots on your Flickr and I'll be honest, these are by far my favorites:

1) http://flickr.com/photos/ydaci/2577291202/
2) http://flickr.com/photos/ydaci/2576545971/

Solid HDR work.

Best,
-Sean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:02 pm 

HNV, I think your argument might be more powerful if your source image(s) was/were in any way interesting. They're dull. D-U-L-L. Photography, to my mind at least, has to instill wonder in the viewer. This is especially true with HDR photography. Yours simply don't.

As far as software is concerned I've pretty much tried them all and I get far superior results using Photomatix over PS. That's not to say that PS can't produce good HDR because there's lots of evidence around to suggest it can. It's just to say that Photomatix produces more interesting results "out of the box".

It all still comes back to the fact that the original image and composition has to be able to work on it's own, regardless of what processing is employed. Honestly, I've made the same mistakes myself, many times. I'm guessing most photographers go through this process. More than likely you'll look back at these images in 6 months, 6 weeks, 6 days and wonder what all the fuss was about. Maybe 6 hours, if you get a good sunset tonight.

It's just pictures.

Zorro 8)

Post subject: Re: 5 exposure HDR!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:04 pm 
[quote="daci"]I still don't have a tripod yet but I've taken a stab at few HDR's with my D300 handheld.18-200 VR used.The following 2 are the ones that I kinda liked best.Any C & C is welcome.Thanks :D

Click for bigger size!

The rest are here:

http://flickr.com/photos/ydaci/[/quote

Wow love the pictures, 8)
Can a Nikon d80 archive similar photos to what you have taken with your d300?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:08 pm 

Yes.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:22 pm 
Hey everyone.Sorry I couldnt reply sooner.I was in Vegas for a wedding trip so just got back recently and read everyones reply and I want to thank you again for the comments and critiques.

kevin.verelst wrote:
I also love number 1.
It has that stunning-surrealistic-HDR-look. (that I don't seem to be able to get in mine)

which bracketing steps did you use?

I did the AutoBracketing with 1 EV increments on 5 shots (since the D300 will only let you up to 1EV) and then used Photomatix for tonemapping.This shot was taken on the way out to dinner and hastily done since I didnt want to miss the sunset but also was pretty hungry as well :D

ST NIKON,yes your camera can do the same thing as well.

Sdrummer, thanks for the comments on the other pictures.I took those after the ones I posted here and even though they are heavily processed they still work in their own way and I like the way they came out.Its a matter of personal taste I guess.

I'm not going to delve on the matter of Photomatix VS Photoshop but PhotoJ nailed it right and I'll leave it at that.Thanks again.