Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:08 pm 

Hello Gordon,
I'm going to step in the world of digital photography. My choice will be either a Canon EOS 30D with a EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM or a Lumix DMC-L1 (or a Leica Digilux 3) with the Leica Vario Elmarit 14-50mm F/2.8-3.5 OiS Asph . I wonder what the quality of the Leica lens is compared to Canons 17-55. Because you had them both in your hands, I'm interested in what your opinion is.

Frank (The Netherlands)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Frank, that's a great question, and as you'll no doubt have seen in my L1 verdict, the 30D plus 17-55mm is a great alternative for roughly the same money.

Ultimately it's a personal choice between the two kits, but here's a few of the main differences:

L1 plus Leica: Pros: Live view, anti dust. Cons: small dim optical viewfinder

Canon 30D plus 17-55mm: Pros: bigger, brighter viewfinder, better AF, faster continuous shooting, more conventional grip, f2.8 throughout range. Cons: no Live View and no anti-dust! (and expect a 40D within 6 months)

So really it's down to how much you value Live View and anti-dust, and of course which one you prefer in terms of look and feel. I guarentee when you pick them both up, you'll instantly prefer one to the other, and that's the one you should go for.

As for the quality of the Leica lens, we're preparing a full review of it for when Panasonic starts selling it seperately, but as a preview, will compare its optical results in our forthcoming Olympus E400 review. You can then compare the figures against the Canon 17-55mm review to see how they compare optically.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:21 pm 

Hi Gordon,
Thanks for your reaction. I'm afraid the dim viewfinder could be a problem for me because I'm used to the viewfinder of a Leica M6. On the other hand, I should look through it before I can say something about it. Well, now you say that a 40D is to be expected within 6 months, it looks the wrong moment to buy a digital camera. But, what will the 40D bring? Probable 10 Megapix. Do I need that? No I don't, I would rather like to have a superior lens.
I have the feeling that Canon will release a lens which is like the 17-55mm, but then in a professional "L" version for the full size. Do you share that feeling?
I'm looking foreward to the test results of the E400.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Frank, well the L1's viewfinder is certainly relatively small and dim, but the more I use the Live View function, the more I like it. It is best-suited to slower, more considered photography like landscapes or macro though.

As for a '40D', there'll always be a new camera coming out, so the best time to buy is when you're ready - and that sounds sooner rather than later for you! Like you though, I'd expect the '40D' to be a 10mpixel version of the 30D with anti-dust, but it's hard to tell. If you can wait a few months, it may be worth doing so as 30D prices will inevitably fall in the run-up to a successor.

As for a full-frame equivalent of the EF-S 17-55mm, are you talking about a possible EF 17-55mm f2.8 or the equivalent focal range, ie, an EF 27-88mm f2.8?

Either way, I'd say Canon already has similar full-frame products already available: there's the 16-35mm f2.8 or the 17-40mm f4.0, and the 24-70mm f2.8 or 24-105mm f4.0. All are L models, and I'm particularly fond of the f4.0 models for price and performance.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:43 am 

Gordon,

Indeed, I'm ready to buy a camera rather sooner than later. What I actually ment with the lens was a lens with high sensitivity (f2.8), with a focal range which is simular (17-55mm) and most important; a image stabilizer. Canon has great lenses in particular focal range in the L series, but not with a image stabilizer. So, I want to be able to shoot in dim light situations without a flash and with a minimum of vignetting as possible. Demanding, isn't it?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:58 pm 

Hi Gordon,

I have bought the Lumix DMC-L1 today and yes, this is the camera for me.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi Frank, that's great news! I hope you'll be very happy with it.

If you're into wide angle shots and have any money left, get yourself the Olympus 7-14mm and you'll have one of the most original and exciting photographic kits around! You can check out our review under the lens menu.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:59 pm 

Thanks Gordon, I'm very happy with my camera indeed. The only remark I can give is that the RAW converter that is included in the kit is not fantastic. I have already checked out your review of the Olympus 7-14mm and I was very impressed by the results. I'm considering buying the lens.
Cheers, Frank