Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:52 pm 

At least it's not JR. Patti knows what I'm talking about :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:55 pm 
Uh-oh if a mod sees these horribly off-topic talk...

Anyway, I think JR of CL rings a bell but only J.R.R.Tolkien comes to mind.

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:08 pm 

Hi everyone,
I'm finding this month really tough. Struggling for ideas. I can't find anything original so may end up with a picture of a lamp or something.
Still got two weeks so I might still have that eurika moment.
regards GCJ :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:41 pm 
I've submit mine with the name The Dark Room. I'm a real newbie, so, if anybody has any comments, you are welcomed to do so.:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:42 pm 

Nice one richcaw. Love that shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:32 pm 

Funny thing thomasrichards is, my family name also starts with "R" :D
So we have two TRs at CL 8)
As to this month's entry, I've prepared something but am still not decided which one to post. So you now...
(1) have a unique chance to suggest the worst of the three to me (for posting on this month's assignment) just to make sure that I have no chance :twisted:
(2) can try to do this one better as it is an idea that no one has used up to now in June's competition

If you head over here, you can give me a hint...

------
P.S.: Has someone checked on Photoj's image whether he really had not done any postprocessing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:26 pm 

Thomas wrote:
So we have two TRs at CL 8)
As to this month's entry, I've prepared something but am still not decided which one to post. So you now...
(1) have a unique chance to suggest the worst of the three to me (for posting on this month's assignment) just to make sure that I have no chance :twisted:
(2) can try to do this one better as it is an idea that no one has used up to now in June's competition

If you head over here, you can give me a hint...

------
P.S.: Has someone checked on Photoj's image whether he really had not done any postprocessing :lol:

My dad, brother, and grandpa are also TR's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:27 pm 

Thomas wrote:

Yeah, that is funny. Maybe your middle name also starts with a 'J'? :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:29 pm 

We Germans normally don't have/use a middle name. But mine starts with a "W". So it's
"TWR", mod at CL :lol:

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:04 am 

matthiasmesser wrote:
Evening sun and raindrops on a window
No processing except crop

not to be nit-picky but i thought we weren't even allowed to crop, as i would've done so....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:32 am 
You're right dryan2 - no cropping is allowed, only the image as it comes out if the camera.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:18 am 

Nice capture Vertigo.

But I'm wondering how it would look if the branches were not in the frame? I'm not saying that they are distracting as they usually are in that kind of framing, because its not, but they are cutting off the clouds.

What were the in-camera settings? The white balance, colour saturation, etc...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:26 pm 
Thank you, TR!

I was thinking the same thing about those branches as well. But this was one of those shots that I only had one chance to get, so I didn't have time to move and get them out of the frame. I was taking some photos along the shore and just happened to notice the boat going by, so I finished changing filters as quickly as possible and took the shot. While the branches do block some of the clouds, I think they also add some feeling of depth to the photo, so they are both good and bad for different reasons. This is something I love about photography -- there isn't always a clear right or wrong way to do something. In my work as an engineer, there is always a right or wrong way to do something. So it's fun for me to do something creative and subjective, like photography.

I was trying to get a very saturated, sun-baked look in the photos I was taking that evening. I set the camera's sharpness and saturation one level higher than the standard picture style settings, and the white balance was approximately 6000K. And of course I had the Tiffen 812 Warming filter on to help a bit as well.

Unfortunately, after I resized the photo to 500 pixels, it looks much less sharp than the original. I've never had this problem before. Given that we can't use post-processing, I couldn't think if anything to fix it. Anyone have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:13 am 
That is an awesome photograph of that toilet Greg!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:58 am 
Thomas' submission is fantastic. That's going to be very hard to beat in my opinion. I LOVE it and want a large version of it to print out and stick on my wall!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next