Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:59 pm 
Pictures taken with Canon EOS 40D with Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. Also using a HOYA HMC FILTER UV(0).

All pictures have Exposure compensation +2/3 due to that i found the pictures to dark when i looked at them in the camera LCD. Will not make that misstake again.

Camera in P-mode

First series of pictures is taken at the driving range at Bro Bålsta Golf in Stockholm Sweden (Actually it's the course where Annika Sörenstam grew up). Focus is on the 50 meter mark. Pictures reduced to 800x533, no cropping

1/125 F8.0 ISO400 17mm

1/125 F9.0 ISO400 50mm

1/160 F7.1 ISO400 85mm

Following pictures is 100% cropping.
Pictures taken from about 20 meters or so

1/100 F7.1 ISO640 17mm

1/60 F6.3 ISO640 50mm

1/60 F5.6 ISO640 85mm

This is a closeup. About 2 meters from tarket shooting at focal length 85mm.

1/100 F6.3 ISO640 85mm

Same picture with 100% cropping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:06 am 

Great idea of showing the zoom capability of the lens by using it on the driving range. This is quite a versatile lens for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:08 am 
You see how this lens does that weird colour stuff around the trees can you remove that in PS or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:18 am 
Thanks steve. And yes, this lens is useful as a "every day lens". This is the lens i will have mounted on my camera even if i buy a new zoomlens. A zoomlens is however needed as 85mm is a bit to short for most wildlife photography. Even with a 1,6x crop camera.

Marzy: is it CA (Chromatic Aberation) you're suggesting? Actually, i think the CA is quite low with this lens. Remeber that i have +2/3 compensation in these images that might confuse a bit.

I have taken several thousands of pictures with this lens and i cant see very much CA.

The issues i find with this lens is:
* Not so supersharp. But then again, this is'nt an L-lens.
* Vinjetting at short focal lengths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:41 pm 
I bought this lens with camera, it works okey, not the best but still expensive lens. money could be better spend on other lens! but still okey lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:33 pm 
agree, somehow it is still an expensive lens if not bought with the body. anyway, all around it's not for a general purpose and walk around lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:00 am 
When I decided to get a DSLR I ordered first (40D with this lens), and read about it second. After reading some reviews on this lens, it made me a bit nervous that I wasn’t getting a lens I would be happy with.

Now that I have used it a little, I can say that I am quite satisfied with the images that I have captured with the lens. These are some of the pictures I have taken. The first two are not cropped so you can see how the lens performs towards the edges with the aperture wide open.

Rocks
Exposure: 1/40s @ F/4.5
Focal Length: 24mm
Sensitivity: ISO 400

Bird
Exposure: 1/10s @ F/5.6
Focal Length: 85mm
Sensitivity: ISO 3200

Sunset
Exposure: 10s @ F/11
Focal Length: 26mm
Sensitivity: ISO 100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:04 am 
Judging by the exposure of the bird pic it was very dark outside!!! :P

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:29 am 
i am thinking of buying a 40D and upgrading the kit lens to a 17-85mm lens but reading all ur comments im scared now. is it really not that good?
i dont want dark images and i want to have a sharp picture. should i be looking at a different lens?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:55 am 
thereza333 wrote:
i am thinking of buying a 40D and upgrading the kit lens to a 17-85mm lens but reading all ur comments im scared now. is it really not that good?
i dont want dark images and i want to have a sharp picture. should i be looking at a different lens?

dark image depends on lighting condition and setting of the camera (shutter speed, iso and aperture)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:51 am 
thereza333 wrote:

Nope - overall dark images is up to the exposure, not the lens. You (or the camera) have to pick the correct combination of aperture, shutter speed and ISO (those are the main ones anyway).

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:08 pm 
What does everyone think of this lens? I have ordered it from camerabox but it is out of stock. I just hope it's a good lens. If not, what lens would you suggest? I have heard good things about Sigma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:47 pm 
I think it's a good lens.
Sharp and have good focal-range for an every day lens.

I took this picture with it, and used Adobe RAW and Photoshop to enhance it a little bit, but not that very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:18 pm 
I agree with Khol, it is a good lens. Although it is not 'optically perfect', it has a great zoom range, I think its IQ is very good, it is reasonably light, and has a good image stabiliser.

The main problem I have with the lens is its low light performance, but I think that would be a problem with any zoom lens - From memory, the fastest one that canon makes is F/2.8. At the moment I just shoot with high ISO (1600+) and am planning on getting the F/1.4 50mm prime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:20 am 
Some more photos with this lens :3

Canon EOS 40D, Shutter Speed: 1/30 second, F Number: F/5.6, Focal Length: 85 mm, ISO Speed: 100

You can get pretty close with this lens although its not that good for macro shots

Canon EOS 40D, Shutter Speed: 1/5 second, F Number: F/5.6, Focal Length: 17 mm, ISO Speed: 100

Corner sharpness isn't that great at the brighter F numbers. Also visible vignetting although its easy to remove in photoshop. The IS system is really effective and allows slow shutter speeds without any loss in sharpness

Canon EOS 40D, Shutter Speed: 13/10 second, F Number: F/22.0, Focal Length: 17 mm, ISO Speed: 100

Another landscape shot. At F22 the sharpness is good but the vignetting is pretty big although this is removable in photoshop