Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cokin! Filter System
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:35 am 
Yes i m of to vacation in a couple of weeks to Spain where i been thinking of getting a CPL, for my lenses BUT i then been thinking about getting the Coking system because that would just mean getting different adapter rings right?

So I was thinking of picking up the CPL as well as a ND. For my Nikon 18-55 and 50mm both being 52mm "size" filters.

So what would be a complete list of goodies that i would need for this entire system, i know its not "top" quality but it seems to be a comfortable option?!

Ed, you and me have discussed this before, but now its coming back to my head because in the long run it would just be cheaper to get different adapter rings then getting a new filter for every lens.

P.S oh yeah i was thinking of getting it of ebay, anyone got a good link to a trustworthy seller?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:29 pm 
I don't use ebay, but I'm going to clear up misinformation that's been on the forums here - Cokin filters are made of organic ground glass and not plastic. I've seen 3 postings last month that identified them incorrectly as plastic, though I haven't traced the exact threads.

It is a cheaper system to run in the longer-term, and very versatile. Even if it is of lower quality than the Lee or Singh-Ray filters for example, it's not worth paying that amount unless you're using high-end glass.

So Alex, for a basic set this is what you need:

Cokin filter ring
Cokin filter holder
Filters
Filter storage box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:43 pm 
Great all i needed to know in a quick post!

Thanks Ed, going to look into these and post a total price later on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:07 pm 
I ought to have added if you're looking for an ND, an ND4 would be a good option as it offers a 2 stop reduction, which is the most versatile in field use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:41 pm 
Thanks for that tip Ed, i thought it was a ND4 not the 8 because that would be to many stops right?

Placed an order with the ring the holder and a CPL, for $30US which i thought was a pretty good deal, for everything new. The P series for now at least. This is going to be interesting to play with the filters, seems like i will need to be doing less PP :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:07 pm 
Is the Cokin system a good choice for ND grad filters? Or are they the only option? (Aside from the more expensive Lee and Singh-Ray). Am I right to assume you can't get a traditional round screw-on ND grad filter? The Cokin is probably a good system to get into anyway by the looks of things. Are Lee and Singh-Ray filters compatible with the Cokin system? Any pros/cons of the Cokin vs. the more expensive system?

cheers!

Welly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:07 pm 

Alex, I'd also recommend a tabacoo filter.

I'll finish this post later.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:10 pm 
Welly wrote:
Is the Cokin system a good choice for ND grad filters? Or are they the only option? (Aside from the more expensive Lee and Singh-Ray). Am I right to assume you can't get a traditional round screw-on ND grad filter? The Cokin is probably a good system to get into anyway by the looks of things. Are Lee and Singh-Ray filters compatible with the Cokin system? Any pros/cons of the Cokin vs. the more expensive system?

Welly, circular ND grads exist but they're rubbish for more advanced users. Why? Well the transistion zone is fixed on the filter and you have to frame your image in a certain way. The Cokin system is a large rectangular piece of glass that can slide up and down in its holder, so you can place the transistion point of the grad where you please and compose regardless of the filter.

Cokin is cheap, cheerful, and works. Yes it lacks the top IQ of more expensive filter brands, but that doesn't justify paying multiples more from a financial sense.

Lee and Singh-Ray filters do use the P and the Z series holder made by Cokin.

JakeOConnell wrote:
Alex, I'd also recommend a tabacoo filter.

I beg to differ Jake. You can create the "tobacco" effect in PP. My advice is inspired by a cigarette box: "Don't do it. Tobacco kills".