Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:11 pm 
That's what I was afraid of. Okay does anyone know for a camera to be super zoom (10x or above), low noise levels, flash, image stabilisation, good image quality, 28mm wide angle and a tilting screen is preferred (one that I can shoot overhead shots with)

That image stabilisation thing on the Fuji's are a real shame as its a near as perfect camera I can find.

Many Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:29 pm 

The Olympus SP-550 Ultra Zoom has many of the features you're looking for. See here: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... ndex.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:52 pm 
Thanks! I did have a look at it but after viewing these images http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-c ... P-550UZ/p5

I found that the quality is poor, however as my name suggests I am a noviceuser.

The features are all super though. Any other options are greatly welcomed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:48 pm 

Novice,
It's a shame that Fuji uses the system they do, but in reality, you probably don't need it. Just turn it off, if there is a switch.
I use a Fuji 7000, 6 megapixel, and I get excellent results from it. I generally use it at ISO 200, sometimes 400, with no problem. Then again, I may not be as critical as some. "Good" is a relative term.
The only complaint I have with my cameera, and probably applicable to all P&S cameras, is shutter lag.
If I could find ANY super zoom P&S without shutter lag, I'd jump on it in a flash.
I'd give up on the tilting screen. It's a nice selling point, but not really all that great unless you take lots of pictures in extremely crowded places.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:16 pm 

Well Noviceuser, the 1000$ question is: Are other P&S cameras better than that?
I think you're really discussing the system-question: to DSLR or not to DSLR. Otherwise the Oly 550 is quite nice.

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:35 pm 

I agree with Tom. Point-and-shoot cameras are only so good. I'm sure you know the reason: they have smaller sensors than DSLRs, and the smaller the sensor, the harder it is to control noise. There may be NO point-and-shoot camera on the market that has good image quality at ISO 800, and there may be only a couple that have good image quality at ISO 400. Even at ISO 200, many of them produce terrible pictures.

Actually, Fuji is one of the few manufacturers that has decent image quality at higher ISOs, and that's because of their special "super CCD" sensors. (Well, the reviewers say it's decent, but I still feel that they use too much heavy-handed noise reduction.)

I suggest that you get the Fuji camera, turn off the "image stabilization" feature, and limit your photos to ISO 200 or less. Or else, get an entry-level DSLR.

Frankly, if you are this particular about the camera you are getting, then you should get a DSLR. There are two that cost around $600 that have excellent image quality and low noise: The Pentax K100D (a new "super" model has been announced), and the Nikon D40 (both have 6 MP). Even though I am a person who likes a lot of megapixels, the reviews of the Pentax are so good that I may be getting that camera for myself.

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:45 pm 
Thank you all for the sound advice. I feel that the Fuji 9600 is the one for me. Although I like the size of the Oly the manual focus ring appeals to me. I wish I could get a DSLR but as the cheapest one I like is the D40 and that with a lens that zooms in the amount I want and a flash costs too much for me.

As a thank you - JESSOPS10 gives you 10% off Jessop's website. (You all probably know this but it's all I got)

Many thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:59 am 

Well Caleb, I agree to a point.
BUT I think real IS is worth especially in P&S. As it allows to get more light on the sensor and thus implicitly reduce noise. If you can hold a pic 8 times (3EV) longer that is a benefit not to be underestimated.
I'd strongly suggest that noviceuser goes for a P&S with real image stabilization :!: :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:23 pm 
well the s9600 is ordered but i can return within 7 days, hopefully the IS or lack of it is not too much of a drawback. I shall post some pics when I get the chance and a MASSIVE thank you to everyone who helped me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:46 pm 

Well think of a "real" IS not only giving you less noise, but at the long end of the lens it may also be your only chance to shoot shake-free without a tripod!