Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:10 am 
Hi, I have a question for Gordon Laing and other people who have the Gorillapod SLR zoom (biggest model).

Would the gorillapod be 'sticky' or sturdy enough to put it on the hood of a driving car with a 1.3 kg load on it (without sliding off of course :P ) ?

Thanks

Bart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:17 am 
I'm not sure I'd want to if I were you. Thats a lot of money to put on something so cheap, going quite fast.

Just get some big tape, test it out on some plastic to make sure it doesn't leave sticky dirty stuff behind and tape the camera to your car. I'd trust some good strong tape rather than a gorillapod, to be honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm 
I think the Gorrilapod attaches by friction rather than suction in which case any bump or corner would be sure to throw it off. A bit risky IMO unless you've got something to wrap it around. Wing mirror for example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:05 pm 
I think placing it on the hood or on the roof should be safe, because that is the straightest area of your car, depending on what car you have. Just try it out and see how it a goes with a hand around it to see what happens!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

There's enough friction for it to stand on a stationary car bonnet, but not if it's moving. As graham says, your best bet would be to wrap it around something like the wing mirror, but even then I wouldn't be comfortable about it.

Maybe one of those g-clamp tripod mounts would be better, clamped onto the door frame with the window wound down...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:20 am 
Damn, is there any other solution for putting it on the hood ? Except for the tape because my dad won't allow me to tape his car :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:01 am 

Hi Bart,

One aspect about this setup you don't want to overlook is protection for the lens (and camera).

What I'm talking about is protective glass shield placed in front of the lens to avoid bouncing stones or other objects damaging the lens. You know what the front bumper of a car looks like, all that chipped paint from debris bouncing off the road from other vehicles. You don't want that happening to your lens or camera.

I wonder if this is possible without much IQ loss? Anyone know of something like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 am 

These seem like solutions to the mounting problem. They don't look cheap at all, but it would ensure your DSLR does'nt become roadkill.

http://www.filmtools.com/filmedweigca1.html

and

http://www.stickypod.com/car_camera_mount.html

Bets of luck. If you do attempt this, please post some shots of the setup. Even if it's DIY :lol: