Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:46 am 
I received this lens on March 25, 2008. My first impression, was that it felt heavier than the kit lens. It was much better built, and had a metal mount. The lens hood was a nice addition. I purchased it for full price.

When I first tried it out, it focused quickly, but I didn't expect or see and improvement. Speed is perfectly fine. SSM would've been nice, but very expensive.

At f/1.4, there was no noticeable vignetting, and no visible distortion. At this aperture, it was a little soft, but much sharper compared to the kit lens at f/3.5. It's still sharp in the center, but has soft corners. It is although very usable.

At f/2, the lens get sharper, but not by much. The center sharpness spreads towards the corners, but not a whole lot. All vignetting (in tests) were not non-existent.

At f/2.8 is where the lens gets to it's sweet spot. The corners were marginally sharper than at f/1.4, but not impressive. Here, it is usab;e in almost any situation.

From f/3.5 and up, I have absolutely no complaints. It's very good from here and up, but what's the purpose of the wide apertures?

This lens performs great against flaring. In all of my photos in direct sunlight, there was no flaring as far I could see. With the lens hood, this is greatly improved when the sun is in the corner of the frame.

Bokeh is absolutely beautiful as expected from a large aperture lens. It is very smooth at f/1.4, but is slightly better at f/2. The circular aperture is a huge plus.

Chromatic abberation, I have seen none of. Purple fringing can be seen at f/2.8, but that was my only test.

From an amateurs standpoint, this lens is a must have if you can afford it. If you're on a budget, the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 is another great option, but it is certainly not better than the Sony.

The only thing I could ask for is:
A cheaper price (Canon is $25 cheaper)
Better build (Canon is much better built, but I can't complain)
SSM would be nice (Again, Canon has the better prime)

Samples:
(They're all edited obviously)

f/2.8

f/4

f/1.4

^Photo above was at 1/4000 and -2EV, Aperture Priority.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by ChickenFriedRyce on Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:40 am 

Hi ChickenFriedRyce,

May I wish you a warm welcome to the forum.

And thanks for hitting the ground running with such a great contribution to forum life. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:51 am 
What a well done review! I'm going to learn a few things through your inputs here. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:44 pm 

Welcome to the cameralabs forum, Aaron ( :?: hope I read it well from your photos) and thanks for this great review. I'd like to buy a prime some day and I'm still wondering whether that would be the 50mm F1.4 or the 85mm F1.4. I guess it's going to be the last one, or both perhaps.

If you're interested in a flash gun for your camera, I've reviewed it here. It's a very useful accessory to have for your DSLR.

Thanks again for the review!
- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:10 pm 
Thanks for the nice review! i have the minolta 50mm F1,7 myself, and i think its lovely. by the way, i love the first shot of the girl from behind. :D

One more thing, the idea of a lower aperature than 3,5 is probably that in very bright conditions, 3,5 can be too much for some cameras (if they dont have a fast enough shutter). and one more thing, you get a larget DOF with a bit smaller apperature :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:58 pm 
Hey Chicken Rice (can I call you that? :shock: ),

Great review there. Well-tested lens.

I picked this lens but then switched it in my wishlist for the GN42 flash gun.

SnS 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:36 am 
Thanks everyone. It's just something I felt like doing.

I now hope to aim for a flash now that I have this lens. I've been wanting the HVL-F56AM but because of SURE, I'm out of that. I believe I'm going for the HVL-F42AM. And then another lens, and then I'm tackling my dream home studio!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:19 pm 

ChickenFriedRyce wrote:
I believe I'm going for the HVL-F42AM.

Have you read my review already? You can find it here.
It's a great flash gun, I love it! Last thursday, a pro even said it was a very good flash!

- Bjorn -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:54 pm 
Yes I've read it and it was very helpful and informative. Thank you. It did help partly in my decision also. I just have to wait until I have the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:32 pm 

ChickenFriedRyce wrote:
I just have to wait until I have the money.

Same issue here, but I'll be waiting a little longer (I'm only at 34% of my dreamlens... :cry: ). The relief when you'll finally buy what you want is worth is though, I get a kick out of it, adrenaline throughout my body.

Glad my review helped you!

- Bjorn -