Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ideas for masterclasses
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:43 pm 
I've decided to create a blog (just for the month to see how it goes) and I'm wondering if there's a particular area of photography (incl. within the professional realm) that anyone has questions dying to be answered.

I've already adapted an old post on wedding photography from this forum, and plan to write one about photojournalism.

So if you have any ideas, please let me know. You can find the links to my website and the blog below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 pm 
Will keep your blog bookmarked in my rss reader and will be looking forward to reading your posts!

Two areas I'm interested in as I'm trying to improve are exposure and flash photography. I haven't quite got dealing with exposure nailed unless conditions are perfect! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:46 pm 
Thanks for your ideas. I will definitely tackle artificial lighting in the blog - flashguns, bouncing, off-camera cords and brackets, and then basic one lamp studio lighting. There's a good chance that I can get some illustration shots tomorrow as I'm covering an event with the Association of British Science Writers (ABSW).

I will look into how I can create a simple masterclass in understanding exposures. There are many ways of managing and I'll think of a creative way to go talk through my thought processes when doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi photoj, I think that's a great idea.

If you're thinking of running this as a possible business, I'd suggest concentrating on subjects which aren't covered as often elsewhere. So stuff like basic composition and exposure is pretty comprehensively written about, but almost everyone who's into photography wants to know about taking it to the next level, going pro, learning pro tricks and techniques.

So studio lighting is a great one, as is renting equipment and premises.

How about one on shooting professional models? Not just lighting and the technical side of things, but how to direct the shoot and the person professionally. Disclosure forms. Do you pay them by the hour? Do you supply wardrobe and makeup? What do they expect from you? That sort of thing...

How to work with an assistant - or what you look for in an assistant and how they become one.

Invaluable tools for the pro beyond the camera and lenses - stepladders, umbrellas, etc...

How to break into the business, get assignments etc - managing the client. What they want.

How to sell work to libraries.

Insurance and protecting your investment.

These are all things I'd be interested in reading about...

It would also be interesting to simply read about your various assignments as and when they happen. Any challenges, unforseen circumstances etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 pm 
Indeed I will Gordon. Thank you for your advice.

I had decided against going for a guide on purely the basics, and have looked into how, as a semi-pro, I can share my experiences. I'm into photography not as a business, but as a self-funding hobby. I certainly had lined up an entry into photojournalism, one on the photographer's rights, direction with models/people, and the all important "how I go about making it a self-funding hobby".

Having said that, I see no harm in having one or two interesting takes on the basics, such as how ordinary composition could be turned over into breaking the rules.

The step ladder has been mentioned in my wedding post, and no doubt it will feature again in another post. It's the second-most underrated tool in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

I look forward to reading them photoj!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:52 am 
Topic of the day: off-camera flash.

PS - you know you can call me Ed rather than my profile name...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:34 am 
I'd like to see an article that deals with workflow from a pro perspective. From the RAW unedited file, and going step by step through the process of cataloging, post-processing, printing, and then how you turn it around for a profit.

Giving ideas on how you set up the shot and composed it, and then what tweaks you made during post processing to either enhance the image or take it to a different level. Doing this with a less than "amazing" image out of the camera and turning it into something great would be fun to read and educational I would think. :)

Seeing how someone with pro experience handles the effort of taking a picture from it's alpha to it's omega would be interesting. I know my workflow is often sort of haphazard and I always have wondered how other people deal with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:53 am 
Hey Ed,

I have read the great wedding guide; will definitely re-read before attending any weddings. Going to read the one about the flash gun now.

Looking forward to all your future posts.

SnS 8)

P.S.: Added to Favourites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:42 am 
Interesting read Ed. I've always wondered what those brackets were for but I now I know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:05 am 
Just to let you all know for marketing reasons I've renamed the blog to "http://journeysintophotography.blogspot.com".

Since the last update I've added a basic outline to the workflow process and a basic guide on how to give directions to people in front of the camera.