Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:45 pm 
Hi all,

I bought a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 today from a shop in Tottenham Court Road. 10x zoom and wide angle was irresistable, therefore I preferred those tangible features to slightly better pic quality performance of some other brands (like Canon) which is more difficult to observe by amateurs like me.

Well, everything was OK; zoom was perfect, it was fun to zoom into skin pores on friends' noses Though, pics were a lil bit noisy as expected.

But the real problem was the noise in mic itself, unfortunately. The video capture of the camera is very nice, it is a privilige to have HD videos with such a small camera, but the playback is dissapointing as mic records too much noise. This is not due to mic sensitivity, because it does not record the voice of people around that perfect. I tried the VGA mode, nothing changed of course. There is no special mic adjustment. So there is no way to get rid of that grain like sound. The problem is not easily understood during playback by the camera itself, as its small speaker hides the grainy noise in a crowded store; but playback in a laptop at home shows how awful the sound recording is with that parasite like sound.

Has anyone also noticed such a problem with this camera?

Best,
Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ali, sadly this is par for the course on most compacts - the audio quality is terrible on almost all of them. The Canon S5 IS was pretty good, but still not as good as a proper camcorder.

Consider editing the footage on your computer and replacing the audio with some music instead!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:37 pm 
Tnx for the reply Gordon,

I preferred to change the camera :) because I hate carrying a camcorder with me but I also like to shoot movies when I travel. I have a Canon Ixus 960 now, which has pretty nice mic recording (better than my previous Sony W40) and HD video capture (at 15 fps though, but with better compression than TZ5).

To be fair, a digicam is a digicam and most of you would be very happy with the wonderful zoom tool on TZ5 and its satisfactory wide angle photos. I was very unhappy when returning it back for that mic problem. Because it is a good "photo" camera indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:38 pm 
TZ5A arrived here yesterday, two days after phone order from Vanns in Montana.

Yes, the sound is grainy, noisy, and the mic faces upwards--the wrong direction.
For a trial I will probably try making an 'ear' for it of....silicone putty.

Overall I'm tickled with the TZ5. OK, It's not the best at anything but it is a competent-enough jack of all trades and much easier to use than the Casio Exilim it replaces here. Too bad that the TZ5 audio is of even lower quality than the Casio.

Post subject: Noise
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:46 pm 
If you can keep your finger away from the mic while shooting, problem solved. Pana did an unforgiveable thing putting the mic where they did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:23 pm 
Just out of interest, where is the mic on the TZ5??

Mark

Post subject: Mic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:23 pm 
Unfortunately, the TZ5 mic is right where most people's fingers go to grip the camera - on the top at the extreme left. They could have switched the mic and speaker - that would have made more sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:40 pm 
mmmm it does seem like a poor design decision. :roll:

Mark