Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:46 am 
Popular Photography magazine just reviewed the E-510 and, unlike Gordon, they think the RAW files look significantly better than the JPGs. I'm considering buying the E-510, and I'm curious to know just how much trouble it is to convert RAW files from a camera (something I've never done). Is it much more work than just using the JPGs?

Thanks,

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:33 am 

Not (much more trouble) when you have the right software.
You can even see the pics in the Windows explorer (at least that's the case when I installed CaptureNX - for Nikon-RAW only!).
You just load and save it like any other file-format, and you should see no difference when working on it. There may be some additional parameters that you can fix...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:52 am 
But you don't have any experience yourself with the software that comes with the E-510? That's what I'd be using.

I hate to bother Gordon, but he used the software, so I think he could answer this.

Caleb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:01 am 
Site Admin

Hi Caleb, as you know, I used Olympus Master 2.02 which as you can see from my results, revealed little or no benefit to the RAW file.

BUT that's not to say you shouldn't shoot RAW. On the contrary, like other cameras, I expect the E-510's RAW files have the potential to look better than the JPEGs, but you'll just need alternative software to process them. Sadly I've not had a chance to process the E-510's RAW files with anything else yet...

I'd certainly agree with Thomas though - if you're already used to doing some tweaking in Photoshop (or similar), then you won't find processing RAW files any trouble at all...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:04 am 
Thank you for your response! It's possible that they used other software on the other web site, which is why their experience was different from yours.

Thanks again!

Caleb