Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:54 am 
Gordon Laing wrote:
This is really up to JC who set the task. But in JC's absence, I'd say no framing is allowed. And no cropping either. But long exposures are fine! You don't have to use auto mode!

By no PP, I believe JC meant submitting the image that comes straight off the camera's memory card. Of course I realise some cameras can now generate framing and other effects in-camera, but again I suspect JC wouldn't want these.

So Bjorn, could you resubmit the image without a frame please? Thanks!

It's really just about trying to get the final result as you press the shutter release. IE, carefully ensuring you have the desired exposure and that there's nothing in the shot which you may have cloned out later.

Gordon

Agree.

If we stick to no post processing at all, there will be no matter of dispute.

Let me just point out that it's a rule - a challenge - only this month. And some brilliant photos have already been captured.

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:19 pm 
thestig2010 wrote:
How about the power of "lite"? :lol:

Stig, you've disappointed me! =P

How could you put anything 'lite' ahead of Heineken?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:11 pm 

:o :lol: :lol: :lol: all the beautiful bottles...lol Oh, you guys quack me up...I promise THIS month, without fail, I will produce a CL worthy photo...and may not give you a run for your money, but I will play.
And Photoj...quite the brilliant reverse, there...good on you!
EGGGGGSELENT submissions!...Where are all our newbies this month? OH, it is only June 2....I know that they are the ones who just keep raising the bar. Am excited to see what they will bring us..

Back to the quackage I go...

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:28 am 
eddcunningham wrote:
thestig2010 wrote:
How about the power of "lite"? :lol:

Stig, you've disappointed me! =P

How could you put anything 'lite' ahead of Heineken?!

Oh trust me, the position of the bottles does NOT reflect a hierarchy. Much shuffling would need be done :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:16 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
So Bjorn, could you resubmit the image without a frame please? Thanks!

Just did it. Wasn't able to do it yesterday because my sister had to use the computer. It's now replaced.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:16 pm 
I actually think the requirement of 'shoot your photo on 'default' setting to be a bit biased for the Canon shooters just because Canon's have higher default sharpening, punchier colours regardless if they are true to what 'the persons 'eyes' saw'. I wonder if perhaps 40D/450D owners should set the colour setting to 'Faithful'?

Bah, anyway, this's just me being a bit huffy about no pp. Might be sitting this one out, as the whole point in my mind of digital is the ability to pp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:07 pm 
IMO, getting down to the default settings of different manufacturers is a bit nitty grittty really.

And it's only for one month people!!!!! :P

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:14 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
Bah, anyway, this's just me being a bit huffy about no pp. Might be sitting this one out, as the whole point in my mind of digital is the ability to pp.

You never know - you might find an idea to submit. It was thinking along the sames line as you've described, then thought: "why not disregard the camera?". I popped the lens cap on and rolled my fingers across the thumb dials to something random and snapped darkness. That's the backstory behind my image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:27 pm 
Although I love to post-process, even if it's something subtle like crop or sharpen tweaks, I dig the idea behind this contest. It will force me to think differently about certain situations and hunt for the best picture I can find.

Maybe next month we'll see a major PP assignment to balance things out! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gregory, I was also thinking about this, but to be honest it's actually Nikon bodies which currently have their settings turned up more than Canon. Just look at our D40, D40x, D60 and D80 galleries. And I think JC would be happy if we tweaked the settings in-camera - just no special effects and nothing outside the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:49 pm 
Gordon, are you being cautious? You haven't mentioned the D200, D300 or D3. Colour saturation is less consumer orientated in these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, I didn't include the Nikon semi-pro and pro models in that list because as you say, the colours are less punchy by default - as you'd expect.

But the consumer Nikon models really can be very vibrant in their default image processing, and I'd say more so than the Canon consumer DSLRs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:43 pm 
Hi thestig,

HAHAHAH..."The Power of Lite" is technically an oxymoron.

Them beers have no power at all...lol.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:45 pm 
Well, I might be a newbie here and I don't know whether I'll find anything to snap to be able to enter this month as I'm not very creative at all :lol: but in my humble opinion, I think its brilliant having an assignment where no post processing is allowed, sorry :?

If photography is all about post processing, then why do we spend so much on getting the best cameras we can afford? Why not just buy a cheap camera and do more post processing?

As I said, I'm just a newbie here but personally I'd much rather be out taking photographs, thinking about my settings at the time and getting the photo I want, (even if it means taking hundreds to get 'the one') than sat at my computer editing everything I've taken :? but that's just me :wink: I mean no offence to those who do like post processing :) JC's rules are only for one month and he did win the right to choose :?

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyones cameras/lenses can really do :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:14 am 
Hi,

here's my perspective:

Although I almost always post-process everything, I can certainly live with being put outside my normal comfort-zone.

I'm certain that I won't be showing my strongest side, but I welcome the challenge of working within the assigned guidelines.

In many ways, the only difference is that I'd be sharing the image before I would otherwise be ready, if that makes sense. But I can't think of a better group of people than all of you to share with.

It'll be fun!

Cheers :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next