Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:37 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Sony Alpha A200
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:42 pm 
This is my first SLR so as expected I did a lot of research on the subject and cameras available. As I am new to the DSLR scene I kept my budget small (didn't want to spend thousands for a camera that I might end up using like a compact camera).

I looked at a few magazines and websites but found Cameralabs really helpful. I especially liked the section that compared similar cameras and the video tours.

I limited the selection down to the Canon 400D, Nikon D60 and Sony A200. I held the Nikon and Sony to make sure they were comfortable (they didn't have the Canon in stock but I had heard bad things about the lens that came with the Canon so ruled that out). The Nikon felt more substantial with a slightly better build quality but to get the anti shake lens would have meant it cost a few hundred pounds more then the Sony.

I finally got the Sony A200 with the 18-70mm lens for the bargain price of £309 and have not been disappointed. I found it really easy to use and have already got some good photos that I wouldn't have dreamed of with a compact (particularly with the aperture settings). I am not sure how good the lens is as I have nothing to compare it too but the images seem really crisp.

I am still in the early stages of using it, and have invested in a book to help explain more advanced techniques. I would recommend the Cameralabs partner site, DSLRtips, as there video workshops were really good for a beginner.

Once I have had a few months with the camera I will say if there have been any limitations or things which really stood out for me.

So far so good!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:15 pm
Posts: 511
Hi Red,

Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it.

Did you know that Sony fabricates the sensors used in Nikon DSLRs? I was surprised when I first heard this, but it makes sense though.

Post some of your shots sometime. Maybe even take part in the 'On Assignment'?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:19 am 
Hello TheRedFeathers!

Welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum! :D

I am positive you will like your A200 as much as I like mine!

We all look forward to a user review from you soon :)

SnS 8)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:40 am 
Hi TheRedFeathers

and a warm welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on your new gear. If you head over to the reviews-section and cast a glance at Gordon's A100 and A200 review, you will be able to see some comparisons between the 18-70mm lens on both alphas versus other kit-lenses on Canon and Nikons.

I haven't personally had the pleasure to shoot with any of the alphas from SONY yet, but based on Gordon's reviews and the examples I see, it seems to me that it not only lives up to the image quality of other kit-lenses, but has the added advantage of the longer range. Normally they go from 18-55mm.

I hope you will share some of your shots with your new camera and perhaps give our monthly assignment a try as well.

Cheers :-)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:24 pm 
Thanks for the warm welcome to Camera Labs. I am not usually a forum type of guy but will definitely try to submit something for the Assignment.

Quick question... how do I get a thumbnail on my profile?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:29 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:30 pm
Posts: 9833
Location: UK
TheRedFeathers wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome to Camera Labs. I am not usually a forum type of guy but will definitely try to submit something for the Assignment.

Quick question... how do I get a thumbnail on my profile?

Hey, I wasn't either, and look what happened to me. :roll: Welcome!

You need to edit your Profile to add an Avatar. Please, please take note of the size guidelines. Your Avatar needs to be hosted elsewhere on the Net - it can't be stored on the CameraLabs server.

Bob.

_________________
Olympus OM-D E-M1 + M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8, Lumix 7-14mm f/4, Leica DG Summilux 15mm f/1.7 ASPH, M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8, M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8.
Leica D Vario-Elmar 14mm-150mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 ASPH.
OM-D E-M5, H-PS14042E, Gitzo GT1541T, Arca-Swiss Z1 DP ball-head.
Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:34 pm 
Darn, Bob beat me to it. :P

I just clicked 'Post reply' and then an email arrived. :P


SnS 8)


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:19 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6953
Location: The Netherlands, Ridderkerk
Bob Andersson wrote:
Your Avatar needs to be hosted elsewhere on the Net - it can't be stored on the CameraLabs server.


It took me quite a while to figure out where to host the avatar, so I'd like to recommend flickr. It's very easy, free and quick to use. Just set up an account (if you don't already have one), upload an image, go to the image, click on "All sizes" and select the smallest, copy the link (second one) into your profile, save and... you're done. Yet I see you've already got an avatar. Well, maybe for someone else then...

- Bjorn -

_________________
Street and documentary photographer | Google+ | Twitter

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:27 pm 
Thanks for the help.
I haven't picked an avatar yet, I just put the thumb nail on my own website. I was thinking about using stock.xchng but flickr seems to be a popular choice.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:54 am 
I have just set up a google picasa account as it works really well with iPhoto. Here is a test photo, taken on the Sony A200.

Image

ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/250 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 70mm


Last edited by TheRedFeathers on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 6953
Location: The Netherlands, Ridderkerk
Nice picture RedFeathers! I like the DoF. Perhaps you should add some EXIF-info underneath the image, so viewers can see what aperture etc. you used.

- Bjorn -

_________________
Street and documentary photographer | Google+ | Twitter

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Sony Alpha a200 DSLR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:50 pm 
Hi everybody,
A week or two ago I went to a local camerastore to try out some dSLRs. This was the first dSLR i have ever purchased, as I followed the natural progression from a small fujifilm point and shoot, to a pansonic megazoom, and now to the Sony A200. After using it in some practice, I am very pleased with my purchase. The camera was severely reduced in price, as Sony tried to penetrate the market as a new contender. I had it down to the Nikon d40 ($499) and the A200 which I got for $499 with the 18-70mm kit lens. I am 6 foot 7 15 year old with considerably large hands, and as I came into the store leaning towards the D40, I found it to be very uncomfortable, and actually very slow (in comparison to the a200). I picked up the A200, which was much more substantial in my hands, and as soon as I clicked the shutter release, I was sold. Now I am looking to extend my focal length, but am having a hard time deciding between a couple of lenses. The first being the Sony 75-300mm telephoto lens. I have read, from Gordons review that it feels much like the kit lens. I am not a huge fan of the build on the kit lens, as it does rattle and it quite plasticy. The other lens that is in contention is the Tamron 18-200mm lens. The build quality and picture quality does seem to be better, and the only thing holding me back is that extra 100mm the sony has on it. As a side note the Sony is 50$ cheaper, but with my summer job, that doesnt have a considerable effect on me. I was wondering if anybody has any advice on this subject. Thanks,
Jim Letten


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:06 am 
My 75-300mm Sony lens came with the kit for an additional 150$ which is a pretty good price for an entry level telefoto lens. If that's the first time you are using a telefoto lens you'll be pretty happy with most of your shots but a small number of high consrast situations where it can give pretty bad chromatic abberation. As I was reading reviews on other telezoom lenses in this price range, I realized that for a major step up you need to upgrade to an SSM lens at about 800 $. As for the build quality I heard that some old Minolta telezoom lenses are quite solidly built (probably a reason they servived till nowdays) but in terms of image quality no better than the Sony 75-300mm. The Sony lens is indeed on a more plastic side but unless you drop it hard should last for resonably long time.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:48 pm 
hmmm. im planning to buy my 2nd camera. maybe i will add sony a200 on my list :)

thanks guys for this wonderful information :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony Alpha a200 DSLR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:52 am 
bigcountry4life5 wrote:
Hi everybody,
A week or two ago I went to a local camerastore to try out some dSLRs. This was the first dSLR i have ever purchased, as I followed the natural progression from a small fujifilm point and shoot, to a pansonic megazoom, and now to the Sony A200. After using it in some practice, I am very pleased with my purchase. The camera was severely reduced in price, as Sony tried to penetrate the market as a new contender. I had it down to the Nikon d40 ($499) and the A200 which I got for $499 with the 18-70mm kit lens. I am 6 foot 7 15 year old with considerably large hands, and as I came into the store leaning towards the D40, I found it to be very uncomfortable, and actually very slow (in comparison to the a200). I picked up the A200, which was much more substantial in my hands, and as soon as I clicked the shutter release, I was sold. Now I am looking to extend my focal length, but am having a hard time deciding between a couple of lenses. The first being the Sony 75-300mm telephoto lens. I have read, from Gordons review that it feels much like the kit lens. I am not a huge fan of the build on the kit lens, as it does rattle and it quite plasticy. The other lens that is in contention is the Tamron 18-200mm lens. The build quality and picture quality does seem to be better, and the only thing holding me back is that extra 100mm the sony has on it. As a side note the Sony is 50$ cheaper, but with my summer job, that doesnt have a considerable effect on me. I was wondering if anybody has any advice on this subject. Thanks,
Jim Letten


Get yourself a "beercan" off of e-bay.
Go for about $250.00 and it's a highly respected lens.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group