Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC

Reaction? :
Keen to help, offer suggestions or arrange.. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Happy to be taken. 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Act as normal, ignore your presence. 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Annoyed by your interuption, especially if you use flash in their face. 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Run away / Camera shy 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Other (Please specify) 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17
 Post subject: Snapping People
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:43 am 
When taking pictures of people at events, parties or in general, what sort of reaction to you get from your intended subjects?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:30 am 

People don't mind me taking their photos, and typically at parties and such, they pose, and that is the problem, because if they are posing and not pro-models, it is very cheesy and they never listen.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:37 am 
At events that i been taking pictures at and acted like the "hired guy" i get people smiling and willing to be on the photo. At parties (with my friends and whot not) people just act retarded in front of the camera (excuse my language) but of course there are exceptions to everything. Often you find what Jake stated, people posing in a rather odd way. Girls are often funner to shoot then guys, just because they want to listen more to you then a guy!

I voted other

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:42 am 
Let me be unhelpful and say the whole gamut. Every individual has a different response to a camera, and from behind the camera you will have to be able to get the best from your subject(s). If you interact badly with your subject, you're more likely to end up with the more negative responses.

Hence I'd be voting for "all of the above and more".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:04 pm 
People get terrified once they see the level of detail captured by the D80. So it's shoot once and they run away forever! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:15 pm 
Mixed reactions.

I like to get candid shots at parties etc, but adults tend to turn their backs or put a hand up to their face; and the kids all try to act as silly as possible - and when we have family gatherings there tends to be heaps of adults and kids, so someone always sees the camera come out.

Can someone please invent an invisibility cover for me?? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:34 pm 
miki wrote:
Mixed reactions.

Can someone please invent an invisibility cover for me?? :lol:

get a telephoto and a gilly suit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:10 am 
I've been thinking about this lately.

I have been getting rather annoyed with the amount of camera shy people I try to shoot, and my photography is typically of a premises; the people aren't the point of interest.

My current camera isn't an SLR though, so that might change soon when I get one and look more professional.

I just don't understand the (apparent) fear of photography; sure it can be invasive of privacy but it's nothing like video. I'd expect this kind of fear from particularly self conscious people only, but most people are rather camera shy.. around here at least.

Solutions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:36 pm 

I get different reactions, depending on the person I'm shooting. One of my classmates is always very happy to be photographed and always makes some funny face or pose. Others, especially when I'm working with my flash, look angry and don't seem to be happy with me shooting pictures all the time (see [url=http://tinyurl.com/66cazg
]here[/url]).
And a good friend of mine actually likes being 'shot', but also likes looking angry, even though he's not (see [url=http://tinyurl.com/6af8tx
]here[/url]).

- Bjorn -

For some reason I can't get the links to work. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:00 pm 
I voted that there extremely annoyed when i flash a flash in there face because they usually are.. OR when the autofocus help light pops on and just blinds them to death for a few seconds.. that really annoys them.. but when they see a big D80 with a flash mounted and some lens mounted they just dont want to deal with that and feel intimidated in my opinion.. yes some people are fine with but most adults are not.. and little kids just act goofy in front of the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:35 pm 
Hi ceemsc,

first of all it's a relief to see that you left out the words "in half" at the end of your thread title...lol.

Like many others I get a wide range of reactions, depending on the people, situation and my shooting style.

Although I imagine that most people know this, it seems somewhat easier with a wider angle lens where it's not pointed directly at the people I shoot. They are still in the frame, but because the center of the lens is not pointing directly at them, strangers seem less conscious about it.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:33 pm 
I don't like doing it. I once tried a few shots just shooting down the main shopping street in Chester, NW UK and was met by some rather horrible reactions. Henc, I avoid it where ever possible.