Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:02 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
Hey emp93, just enable the Auto-FP mode in the custom-settings menu. That way you can take it all the way up to 1/4000s with flash! :shock: :)

are you pulling my leg graham.. now i gotta go grab my camera and if your pulling my leg im gonna be angry cause i HATE 1/200 flash sync.. BRB.. and thanks Gordon i figured that.. i assume crops are welcome or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:10 pm 
Cropping is considered post-processing because it alters the composition of the image. I believe it is not allowed in this month's assignment.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:16 pm 
emp93 wrote:
grahamnp wrote:
Hey emp93, just enable the Auto-FP mode in the custom-settings menu. That way you can take it all the way up to 1/4000s with flash! :shock: :)

are you pulling my leg graham.. now i gotta go grab my camera and if your pulling my leg im gonna be angry cause i HATE 1/200 flash sync.. BRB.. and thanks Gordon i figured that.. i assume crops are welcome or not?

The no crop ruling was mentioned by JC in the April comments section here.

As for the AFP, it will only work with an SB600 or 800. The in-built flash is limited at 1/200.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:33 pm 
"Stick with the default 'as camera' settings for all parameters" Means... No long exposures?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:35 pm 
joebaynham wrote:
"Stick with the default 'as camera' settings for all parameters" Means... No long exposures?

Why would that mean no long exposures?? :?

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:37 pm 
Markh wrote:
joebaynham wrote:

Why would that mean no long exposures?? :?

Mark

I thought that might me stick to auto mode, but that might be just me being special..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:39 pm 
Ah I see. No I think the idea is that all parameters (contrast, sharpening, white balance etc...) should be set before the shot is taken. Once the shutter is pressed, nothing more can be done, except a re-shoot. :P

It would be unreasonable to expect people not to use the creative modes on their cameras because this is all about creativity!!!! :D

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:18 pm 

Bob Andersson wrote:
... the image within the frame would appear to have been slightly cropped.

It may appear to be, but it is definitely not so. The image has not be post-processed in any way, because I wish to respect the rules set by both JC and Gordon. However, the framing is something I do to show that the picture is made by me. All pictures I post on the internet (except the ones which are not serious, like pictures for the review of a Sony flash gun I posted here on CL) are framed. I believe it would be similar to forbid adding a copyright to your picture, and that should be allowed (right :?: ).

Bob Anderson wrote:
@Bjorn I know this is really picky but as JC has set the rules would you either set me straight in my analysis or consider resubmitting your entry, if only to make life easier for us poor old Mods who might have to start adjudicating on dozens of entries if you open this particular door. :?

No it's not picky, your just doing what you're supposed to be doing! :D
The original size of the image is: 4272 x 2848 pixels (3:2)
The image below (unframed) is: 1024 x 683 pixels (3:2)

This image was resized with a resizer from Microsoft so I didn't have to upload 7.24MB onto Flickr (takes a loooooong time). If you wish, Bob, you could compare this image to my entry. If there is any difference in aspect ratio, I'd really have no idea where it could come from. Again, I respect to work by the rules set by JC and Gordon to do no postprocessing and that's why this photo has not been opened in Photoshop, I framed it with Power Point like I always do.

EDIT I just compared the size of the framed version I posted in the "On Assignment"-thread this afternoon and the original one. To my great horror they were indeed different in size. All I can say is... :oops: ... I don't know what caused this difference, but I'm sorry. Bob, I apologise from the bottom of my heart, because it must have taken you quite some time to show the the aspect ratio is indeed different. I have just replaced the previous image with a correct one. Again, I'm deeply sorry.

If the framing is really that much of a problem, I'd be willing to replace the framed image with a non-framed version. Gordon, please tell me whether I'd need to do that. Thanks in advance!

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:43 pm 

No problem, Bjorn. JC has certainly set us a task, hasn't he. :roll: :)

We'll see what Gordon has to say about framing...

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:23 pm 

I don't really see Water Marking as post processing, and I believe Bjorn does the framing for that reason, I simply see it as his way of protecting his images from the many theifs out on the web.

my Blog
"Photography isn't so much about the results as it is the collective experience, your interactions with people and with the world"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:29 pm 
I agree with your sentiments (although watermarking by frame is quite useless - a simple crop can remove the identifier). The rules set this month by JC aren't particularly to my liking, and aren't terribly clear or helpful for the mods to monitor. After all we're still getting entries of the wrong size and without shooting information. However I can understand why no-PP was implemented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

This is really up to JC who set the task. But in JC's absence, I'd say no framing is allowed. And no cropping either. But long exposures are fine! You don't have to use auto mode!

By no PP, I believe JC meant submitting the image that comes straight off the camera's memory card. Of course I realise some cameras can now generate framing and other effects in-camera, but again I suspect JC wouldn't want these.

So Bjorn, could you resubmit the image without a frame please? Thanks!

It's really just about trying to get the final result as you press the shutter release. IE, carefully ensuring you have the desired exposure and that there's nothing in the shot which you may have cloned out later.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:39 pm 
:)
My first posting. Hello to all!

I don't yet have the new camera from which I adopt this username, TZ5A.
However, I hope to enter this month's contest, "The Power of Light",
by somehow qualifying a good still shot of an antique device:

Watch your eyes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJeJtDcHEww
(made a few months ago with my present albatross, Casio EX-S770)

And here, for the first time, to my limited experience,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi7uifnYFvQ
one can see how the flame propagates.

BTW, what's the CRI of carbon light?:P

The question is, how to get a good still photo of the arc in compliance with our rules here--
I have no photographic experience to speak of, and the shot's to be done with a point and shoot Panasonic Lumix.

Cheers and thanks to you all and especially to Gordon,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:23 am 
How about the power of "lite"? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:45 am 
Very sorry emp93! Didn't mean to mislead you! I had assumed you were using an external flash, not sure why... :?

The D80 will only go past 1/200 with a SB-600/800 like Photoj has already pointed out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next