Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 280  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:41 pm 
I agree Graham. Although it's underexposed/out of focus, there seems to be an air of mystery surrounding it. It's not displeasing to the eye as most out-of-focus images are. I actually quite like it. :!: :D

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:31 pm 
Hi,

Trip out today, here's a couple of shots.

Hope you like them,
Kind Regards,
Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:52 pm 
Thanks Mark!

Great shots Jack! I like the high contrast look!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:56 pm 

Nice shots Jack, great work. The first one is my favourite.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:45 pm 
Thankyou Grahan and Bjorn. :) I have quite a few others including a version of the first with all of the greenery turned red. Might put them in the landscapes forum.

Regards,
Jack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:00 pm 
I'll contribute.

I'm always taking photos of my cats - I love taking nature/wildlife pictures, so when indoors and day-to-day, my poor cats always get a camera pointed at them.

Here's one I just got:

(cc welcome... I'm always open to hearing critique)

Lens: Canon EFS 18-55mm
Details: 1/60 shutter speed, F5.6, ISO400, 55mm

Could have done without the shadow on the other paw.. but I just used the on camera flash for this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:13 am 
Not so much "Photo of the day" but "Photo of yesterday".... have only just had chance to post it now as I had a bit of work cloning out a wire fence, it is a picture of some cow/buffalo from Africa at Marwell Zoo, I really like this one so that is why I am posting a bit late :oops:

Shot with the 70-200

Last edited by Defiance on Tue May 27, 2008 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:42 am 

love that lens, Defiance..great shot, let me go see what I found today..nothing exciting, think it might just be a joshua tree....brb.

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:53 am 
What's a joshua tree?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:58 am 
calmac1991 wrote:
What's a joshua tree?

It's a tree that grows in America... if you can find an album by U2 called the Joshua Tree they have a picture of one on the cover...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:22 am 
idk why, but this one just appeals to me

and this because i just took today and made it...eh, yesterday technically but im still awake so today? ahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:26 pm 

1/2 second
f/8
36 mm
ISO 250
Polarizer

Edit: Image resized

Last edited by Syncharmony on Wed May 28, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:13 am 

WOW! syncraharmony, I am so impressed with this beautiful shot great job! Love the cool green shady, and the motion in the wadda...egggggselent....

I am afraid to report I hada disturbance in the force....took my camera to get the sensor cleaned up...(got some good Joshua Trees, and will post them...sorry to make you wait), but I had a chunk of crud on that sensor that was buggin me beyond words...while taking the photos, the wind was blowing, sand and silt, and although I tried my best to protect the camera, it did get some dust ...could not ignore the quality of the photo and would not post one on this good thread with dust spots...lol..I will post one for you calmac, soon as I get the camera back..Joshua Trees are way weird, and cool...they only grow in the deserts of California, and into Arizona/New Mexico..(both states in the south west of the country) I want to say they are in the cactus family, but will wait for Lah or Bob to google that...lol..(because they do that better then I do, for sure...)
waiting to see what turns up here today, and waitin for some quackage, too...I did not forget, I just had a delay!!

patti

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:47 am 

patti wrote:
...but will wait for Lah or Bob to google that...lol..

Nah, can't be googled. :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope the camera gets back to you ASAP. 8)

Adam (aka Syncharmony), that's a wonderful shot. Thanks for sharing.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:35 am 
It can be Bob... I googled it and came across this...

Joshua Tree
Yucca Brevifolia

Range
Joshua Tree grow in the Mojave Desert of southwest California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona, at elevations from 2,000 to 6,000 feet.

Habitat
The Joshua Tree likes dry soils on plains, slopes and mesas, often growing in groves.

Flowers
The Joshua Tree has Bell-shaped, 1.25 to 1.5 inches with 6 creamy, yellow-green sepals. Crowded into 12 to 18 inch, many-branched clusters with an unpleasant odor, mostly in the spring. Not all Joshua tree flower annually.

Fruit
Elliptical green-brown, 6-celled, 2.5 to 4 inches, somewhat fleshy, dries and falls soon after maturity in late spring revealing many flat seeds.

Description
The Joshua Tree, the largest of the yuccas, grows only in the Mojave Desert. Natural stands of this picturesque, spike-leafed evergreen grow nowhere else in the world. Its height varies from 15-40 feet with a diameter of 1-3 feet.

Originally thought to be members of the Agave (Century Plant) Family, the Joshua Tree and other yuccas have been reclassified as members of the Lily (Liliaceae) Family. Two variations of the Joshua Tree are classified as J. brevifolia var. herbertii and J. brevifolia var. jaegeriana

Joshua trees (and most other yuccas) rely on the female Pronuba Moth (Tegeticula) for pollination. No other animal visiting the blooms transfers the pollen from one flower to another. In fact, the female Yucca Moth has evolved special organs to collect and distribute the pollen onto the surface of the flower. She then lays her eggs in the flowers' ovaries, and when the larvae hatch, they feed on the yucca seeds.

Without the moth's pollination, the Joshua Tree could not reproduce, nor could the moth, whose larvae would have no seeds to eat. Although an old Joshua Trees can sprout new plants from its roots, only the seeds produced in pollinated flowers can scatter far enough to establish a new stand.

Mormon pioneers are said to have named this species "Joshua" Tree because it mimicked the Old Testament prophet Joshua waving them, with upraised arms, on toward the promised land. This unique species grows abundantly at Joshua Tree National Park in California and Joshua Forest Parkway in Western Arizona.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 280  Next