Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:18 am 

Apart from the actual quality of the Nikon strap I have a problem with advertising the fact I have expensive gear just one slash away from a robbers knife.Everyone knows Nikon but very few know Op/Tech. I toyed with the idea of a Nikonians strap (re-branded Op/Tech) but declined for the same reason.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:36 pm 
hehe im pretty stuck between going for a lowerpro or a crumpler, the crumpler daily 750 is a beauty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:46 am 
Well if it is of any help, I find the Lowepro's to be more "photography-focused". You get proper compartments for everything. I can't speak for all the Crumplers, but of those that I've seen, all the misc items such as memory cards and batteries go into the same compartment. However, with the Lowepro you sacrifice the "stealth" factor for practicality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:02 am 
Yeah I get what your saying there mate, I am looking for something thats kinda all purpose ,to hold in my laptop ect aswell. The crumpler im going for is this one here.

http://we-sell-crumpler.co.uk/Products.asp?PrdID=577#

So it has proper compartments for 2 camera bodies and 4 lenses, laptop space also with other space for various other, ipod slot and so forth. Seems pretty spot on for getting started. Ofc when going somewhere you know you'll be ok a lowerpro slingshot or something would be more practical defiantly but for round the city, town ect, traveling to X place to then shoot I'd rather have something that doesn't advertise im a photographer.

Especially when im traveling to london! I dont like the people at that place lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:23 pm 
Dominic wrote:
I'd rather have something that doesn't advertise im a photographer

Absolutely! Funny thing is having my camera bag actually gets me through most security checks without any fuss. Security personnel just go "Oh! Camera right? Come on through" and it doesn't just happen over here where security is a little lax. Happened when I was in Australia too.

If not for all the controversy on photographers and pictures of children, private property etc. I would have assumed that the general impression of photographers was that they were a trustworthy bunch. I'm going off-topic here but what I'm basically saying is that having a camera bag has had a few unexpected perks. Who would have though it? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:53 pm 
O.o cool lol! would've never of thought you'd get perks like that quite handy!

I might get myself both not sure. Kinda on a budget so I might go for the lowerpro as its cheaper. One thing is though can it fit in a laptop? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:47 am 
Happen to own the Eee PC by any chance? If you own anything larger then there's not a chance it will fit. It is not at all a big bag and if you want a laptop compartment in a Lowepro Stealth Reporter bag you will have to go for either the D550AW or the D650AW both of which are huge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:38 pm 
Jesus christ lol! how big! I think i'll stick with the crumpler then much more suited for my needs atm / doesnt advertise im a photographer which is good, in the city i'll look like im just anther student XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:14 am 
Maybe huge was an overstatement but the D550 takes a laptop measuring 35x24cm so thats about a 14.1-15" laptop. It would have about twice the depth of the average laptop bag designed for those sizes.

Do you have many other lenses to go with your D60? Cos it's designed to take 2 pro SLRs(D3 size) and 5-6 lenses that are close in size to the 80-200 f/2.8. :D Don't get me started on the D650 lol. Maybe huge was an understatement after all......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:05 pm 
Haha! no matey I got one lens and one camera body atm aswell as my laptop which im replacing with a macbook soon, 18-55mm and my d60 is all I have atm, getting a 55-200mm nikkor soon and some poliarizing / uv filters as Ive heard so much about them. I think the lowerpro will be est when Ive got plenty of lenses that require more room but for now a crumpler would do nicely I think!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:21 pm 
Yea, sounds like Crumpler would be the way to go. Lowepro has a surprisingly few number of shoulder bags that can accommodate a laptop. They have a few backpacks though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:25 pm 
hehe yeah lowerpro are more of a bagpack retailer which ya'know if your traveling abroad is great because you'll need plenty of space!

But for out and about the city and local areas / short travels in the same region you need a shoulder strap! looks less conspicuious (right word? and not like you have 0000's of £ worth of gear on you either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:47 pm 
Update: OK....the shoulder strap, as generously padded as it may be, is awful! I thought it would just take some getting used to but it's still as uncomfortable as it was half a year ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:01 pm 
I've replaced the strap on my SR D300AW. It's one of the more versatile bags that I have and is the default for events. The strap replacement was necessary as the bag often weighs 10-15kg. I don't know if that could be extrapolated to the D100AW, but I can empathise with the uncomfortable strap.

The strap I've replaced it with is the OpTech SOS ("Saves on shoulders"). No complaints and it works very well.

As for neckstraps, OpTech is indeed the way to go. The Nikon straps are uncomfortable by comparison, and are no longer affixed to any of my cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:42 pm 
I think the D100aw uses the same strap as the other bigger models but it shudder to think what I must feel like to carry 15kg with this strap.

The thing that gets me is that it looks comfortable! :?